Process Lasso’s Automation and Control
Imagine a world where you can set process priorities, process CPU affinities, and more, and have those settings persist for as preferred! This is one of the promises of Process Lasso’s unique automation capabilities. Take control of your PC through your own manual rules, or let Process Lasso’s automated algorithms do it for you.
Process Lasso’s Automation capabilities include:
- ProBalance – Our famously efficacious algorithm to restore PC responsive during high CPU loads has to be listed here, too. This is one of the few optimization algorithms in the PC software genre that can actually be demo’d in real-world and synthetic tests. You can even run the demo yourself! For more information, see How ProBalance Works.
- Power plan automation – Switch power plans while idle (IdleSaver), or when specified process(es) are found running, or by a manual timer (Keep Awake), etc…
- Process setting automation – Set persistent CPU affinities, CPU priority classes, and memory and I/O priority for processes!
Related Bitsum Post: Spreading the Load – CPU Affinities and HyperThreading
- Process action automation – Perform an action on a process when certain criteria are met. You can also set processes to auto-restart if they crash (‘Keep Running’) and so much more!
- Keep your PC awake – Process Lasso can keep your PC and displays awake for X time, or when select processes are running.
- Limit instances – Limit the number of instances a process may have in a user session.
- Disallow processes from running – Immediately terminate any matched process, by your criteria.
- Trim virtual memory intelligently – SmartTrim is the first intelligent and selective virtual memory trimmer on the market, but we default it to OFF because taking over control of your virtual memory is only appropriate in a small number of circumstances, and you should understand virtual memory well to use the feature. Definitely it is much safer than anything else out there, which is the only reason it was created. Instead of destroying the working set’s of all processes, it does so selectively and threshold-based.
- Advanced Watchdog Rules – Do X when Y happens. Virtual memory, CPU, and other metrics supported.
- Automatic Game Detection – Detects when you are running a game, such as a Steam game.
- Multi-Select Operations – Perform an operation like terminate multiple processes at once!
- And much more …
Wildcards are accepted in most rules.
Please remember that while Process Lasso offers a plethora of advanced tweaking capabilities, it works out-of-the-box, so we recommend the average user not go around tweaking too much. It is easy to do more harm than good while trying to eek out a marginal additional gain in performance. Process Lasso’s Bitsum Highest Performance power plan (Gaming Mode) combined with ProBalance is about as good as you’ll get regarding performance and responsiveness.
Default (Persistent) CPU, I/O, and Memory Priorities
Process Lasso has a robust ability to set default priority settings for a process. This includes the CPU priority class, I/O level, and memory priority. The dialogs below emphasize this point, though these options are also easily accessible via the process context menu (right-click) within Process Lasso’s GUI.
Default I/O priorities dialog
Default Memory priorities dialog
Default CPU Priority Class dialog
Default (Persistent) CPU Affinities
Process Lasso has a robust ability to set default CPU affinities. The CPU affinity of a process is simply the set of logical cores that the process is granted access to. Remember, this inherently constrains a process, limiting it’s threads to acting only on a specific set of CPU cores. Custom CPU affinities can be used for a number of purposes, including a forced reduction in total CPU capacity able to be consumed by the target process.
Watchdog Advanced Rules
Go deeper with more advanced rules, which we call the ‘Watchdog’. The possibilities are countless. You can get to this via ‘Options / Configure process watchdog …‘.
Keeping Your PC Awake
img class=”wp-image-53586 size-full” src=”https://bitsum.com/wp-content/uploads/pl_preventing_sleep.png” alt=”Process Lasso Preventing PC Sleep” width=”531″ height=”132″ /> Process Lasso Preventing PC Sleep
Automatic Game Detection
This will cause an automatic switch to ‘Gaming Mode’, now renamed ‘Performance Mode’. This is in the Workstation Edition only.