Shadowplay no sound

Started by ollyfox80, June 18, 2018, 08:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollyfox80

I've recently installed Process Lasso and set a game called DCS to run in game mode.

I often use Nvidia Shadowplay to record movies of game play in DCS and others. Thereafter I noticed on recording a Shadowplay vid it has no sound. Vids for the day before without me installing Project lasso work with sound so I am assuming it's something Project Lasso has done. I use an Oculus rift which I understand uses it's own sound driver

So I thought i'd try asking here if anyone has had this and suggest a quick fix? 

edkiefer

Hi, This is a new report AFAIK but anyway what I would do is look closely at logs and note if you see your sound app or anything related to it being restrained.
If so exclude it and see how it goes.
PL is very configurable so you should be able to work it out w/o problems.
Bitsum QA Engineer

ollyfox80

Thanks edkiefer. Shame to hear this seems like a new issue - I am on a rift to be fair which may be more rare (as that adds an Oculus rift sound driver into the mix). But thanks for confirming and i'll go log hunting and let you know if I find anything.

I was thinking maybe me setting DCS to high priority and game mode made this sound thing a bit too low priority or somehow difficult to then talk to. But I doubt it.

I noticed a realtek sound driver thing pop up on my taskbar that i'm sure wasn't there before. I wonder if process lasso affects sound drivers in anyway? Or has problems with certain situations. That seems more likely to me. I checked what was set last night and it seemed good but i'll look more (and in logs and explore excluding any running processes that jump out)

(This could also be a coincidence - google gives lots of results on 'shadowplay videos no longer record with audio) 

edkiefer

Quote from: ollyfox80 on June 18, 2018, 11:49:27 AM
Thanks edkiefer. Shame to hear this seems like a new issue - I am on a rift to be fair which may be more rare (as that adds an Oculus rift sound driver into the mix). But thanks for confirming and i'll go log hunting and let you know if I find anything.

I was thinking maybe me setting DCS to high priority and game mode made this sound thing a bit too low priority or somehow difficult to then talk to. But I doubt it.

I noticed a realtek sound driver thing pop up on my taskbar that i'm sure wasn't there before. I wonder if process lasso affects sound drivers in anyway? Or has problems with certain situations. That seems more likely to me. I checked what was set last night and it seemed good but i'll look more (and in logs and explore excluding any running processes that jump out)

(This could also be a coincidence - google gives lots of results on 'shadowplay videos no longer record with audio)
What I meant was your report is first I have heard of and you didn't mention raising the priority manually of anything :)
I would most definitely remove the high priority, I know you see posts all over the net saying to raise game priority, but you really have to be careful doing this.
Always check with defaults, PL is designed to work great out of the box.
Now if you're running an 8 core CPU you might want to try setting affinities to separate your game from your recording/streaming if processes are separate.

Again, try with defaults and see if you still have any issues, many issues can be tracked to micromanaging system (tweaking too much). Not saying this is totally causing but you have to start with defaults and move from there depending results.
Bitsum QA Engineer

ollyfox80

Please to report I got sound back in my vids

On looking through options i'd added it to higher CPU and other areas - found a reset to defaults and after that just added the game exe in performance mode list and have probalanced ticked.

On looking through past log nothing jumps out but a lot of maybes. Probalance playing with,
steam.exe
oculusvr.exe
ovrserver_x64.exe
nvidia - nvcontainer.exe
gldriverquery?
smartscreen?
and svchost/taskhost calls?

(and what is chrome doing it all the time!:))

I thought i'd have to go looking through long confusing log files but then I looked closer at the active log window and found your log viewer. It's clear if anything gets blocked i'll exclude maybes in future if I have problems as you say

(think i'm going to uninstall geforce experience as I see nvida stuff very busy all the time (and use something lighter for game recording)

Cheers

edkiefer

Quote from: ollyfox80 on June 20, 2018, 04:18:02 PM
Please to report I got sound back in my vids

On looking through options i'd added it to higher CPU and other areas - found a reset to defaults and after that just added the game exe in performance mode list and have probalanced ticked.

On looking through past log nothing jumps out but a lot of maybes. Probalance playing with,
steam.exe
oculusvr.exe
ovrserver_x64.exe
nvidia - nvcontainer.exe
gldriverquery?
smartscreen?
and svchost/taskhost calls?

(and what is chrome doing it all the time!:))

I thought i'd have to go looking through long confusing log files but then I looked closer at the active log window and found your log viewer. It's clear if anything gets blocked i'll exclude maybes in future if I have problems as you say

(think i'm going to uninstall geforce experience as I see nvida stuff very busy all the time (and use something lighter for game recording)

Cheers
Glad you got it working, leave it at default for a while to get a decent runtime as a baseline.
I overlooked your question on drivers, my bad, but no PL won't affect any driver directly. It can, of course, affect the application process which may use a driver.
Looking at your list there nothing stands out to me as bad.
I have many of same things in my restraint history.
Browsers will always show many restraints especially if you multi-task, as you will minimize the browser then it may get restrained if usage goes up.

You can see what process and how many times it get restraint by opening "Insight" right next to the log viewer button. Handly for fast viewing of restrained processes.

On, on GE I never install that thing, I do advanced setup and run only main driver and Nv physX along with Nv HDMI sound.
Rest I leave off but I never record anything so you have to see if other 3rd party apps are better than what GE supplies.
Bitsum QA Engineer