Question about Smart Trim

Started by Jeferson_Lima, July 08, 2018, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeferson_Lima

Hi all,

I'm an user of this software for some time now, can't live without it.

I'm having some stutter in games and found this tweak in the internet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7a0763/standby_memory_issue_causing_stutters_on_creators/?sort=new&st=jjctaokl&sh=b8fcddd1

Before I try it I want to know if what the Smart Trim feature do is what explained there, or if it is another type of memory "cleaning"?

Thanks.

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeferson_Lima on July 08, 2018, 08:40:33 AM
Hi all,

I'm an user of this software for some time now, can't live without it.

I'm having some stutter in games and found this tweak in the internet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7a0763/standby_memory_issue_causing_stutters_on_creators/?sort=new&st=jjctaokl&sh=b8fcddd1

Before I try it I want to know if what the Smart Trim feature do is what explained there, or if it is another type of memory "cleaning"?

Thanks.
Hi Jeferson_Lima

That is a very good question as this topic of standby memory is being discussed on many forums.
Ok, well there is a pretty easy test you can run yourself to see.
Open Resource Monitor and click on memory tab, here you can see process list and graph below which shows Hardware received, In use, Modified Standby and Free memory graph amounts.
So now turn off smart trim for a while (use the system for few hrs) then with Resource Monitor open note the values and now run smart trim and do a "trim Now".

Short answer AFAIK is no, in fact, standby went up a bit in my test, but your "in use" goes down, giving you more free memory for applications.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeferson_Lima

Thank you very much for the information. And sorry for the delay.

In this case I will try the tweak and see what happens. If the stutter is gone or not.

I already tested Smart Trim set to every 15min and with 25% memory used to activate, but seems to have no effect. If the problem persists after testing the tweak I will know that the issue is in another area of my system. :D

edkiefer

25% is pretty aggressive setting, I wouldn't go too far so that it is trimming unnecessarily.
Also, make sure you exclude your game, so it's not trimmed.

What issues are you trying to fix, stuttering in games?

If you are not hitting close to maxing memory, first try with smarttrim off and see how it goes.
Many people make the mistake of tweaking to much on first go around, PL should work very good out of the box.
Bitsum QA Engineer

edkiefer

Update/Edit: If you read a lot of comments on the Reddit thread, the issue many there are having is running out of "free" memory.
So the empty of standby seems to be a workaround for some OS memory management some are having.
I have not seen any issue on my end with free memory being used up or stuttering while playing games.
Maybe if I played 8hrs and left the system on for a week but I don't do that, but I will see if the free goes down over long term. I have 16gig and "normal" use I have 10gig's free.

Smarttrim does give you more free memory when it trims, but i can't say this has any effect to those with this loss of free memory (need a system to show this problem to test it).
Bitsum QA Engineer