Unable to see process in PL's list

Started by PeteCress, August 09, 2017, 10:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteCress

I have a Tivo-on-Steroids app called SageTV.

It spawns a process called SageTVTranscoder.exe.

At one time I was seeing SageTVTranscoder in PL's list of "All" processes.

Then I started fooling around with forcing CPU Priority and now I cannot see it - even so I am pretty sure it is running.

To Wit:

- I wrote a batch file to start it and the file ends normally
- PL's log shows references to it.

The immediate problem is, after setting SageTVTranscoder's CPU Priority=High and getting a report that somebody's problem had gone away, I set it again to "Below Normal" just to see if that person's problem re-appeared.... and I have not been able to see it since - even though it must be running for that person to view the videos they have been viewing.

Any ideas on what I have done to mess things up?

edkiefer

Quote from: PeteCress on August 09, 2017, 10:20:01 AM
I have a Tivo-on-Steroids app called SageTV.

It spawns a process called SageTVTranscoder.exe.

At one time I was seeing SageTVTranscoder in PL's list of "All" processes.

Then I started fooling around with forcing CPU Priority and now I cannot see it - even so I am pretty sure it is running.

To Wit:

- I wrote a batch file to start it and the file ends normally
- PL's log shows references to it.

The immediate problem is, after setting SageTVTranscoder's CPU Priority=High and getting a report that somebody's problem had gone away, I set it again to "Below Normal" just to see if that person's problem re-appeared.... and I have not been able to see it since - even though it must be running for that person to view the videos they have been viewing.

Any ideas on what I have done to mess things up?
Not sure whats up but there a few things you can do.
1) you can always set the process back to using windows default values by opening the CPU priority window in options and removing.
2) If you really messed around with whole bunch of setting like in advance probalance ones you can reset it, there a few reset options depending on what you want to reset .One is in advanced Probalance settings, there reset all configuration to default under options, but backup ini if you want to save any settings.
3) Does Task-manager show process in list, if you see it in log it must of run at some time.
4) On this, there is a option to "ignore problematic processes" in general settings, you can try to uncheck it to see but its there for reason, mainly for AV processes that don't like being looked at/polled.
5) last there setting in advanced options "do not act on children of foreground process" you could try toggling it to see if it helps but its mainly for PL auto Porbalance priority.

Thats all off hand I can think of, but what OS are we talking about ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

PeteCress

>  but what OS are we talking about ?

Windows 7.

I finally found it by running an app that forced it to start.

I suspect I was blowing smoke about it's running but not showing up on the list.... more like I thought it was running... but it was not.

It's a transcoder for my Tivo-on-Steroids app "SageTV" and I was making the assumption that as long as somebody was watching something that needed tb transcoded, the transcoder sb running. .... But it's acting more like when the user starts watching, it runs for a little bit, and then exits - probably, I guess, leaving behind the transcoded file.

"Typical User"...... -)

Jeremy Collake

There can be GUI discrepancies, so don't count it completely out. Keep an eye on this and let us know if you see it reappear. Verify in the Windows Task Manager whether the process is indeed running, then report it. It is a rare scenario, if it does occur, but I don't want to say it is impossible. Process Lasso was never meant to be a task manager, rather optimization and automation, and as-such the GUI is less than perhaps it should be. However, the core engine should always be aware of what programs are running, whether the GUI is properly displaying them or not.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.