Winpatrol restraint count of 2340

Started by MGP, April 15, 2017, 05:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGP

Start using PL again on my "old" Q6600 PC again since I upgraded tot Windows 10 and I'm happy I did so. The PC runs smoother.

Since the latest update to PL 9 09 april, I see that winpatrol.exe has a restraint count of 2340 and still counting. Already mailed winpatrol support, but so far to get not an answer to solve this. So hopefully you may can help me?

Is there something to set of configure (with PL) that winpatrol is less affecting the responsiveness my PC? So far I only installed PL and let it do its work, but may be I can fine tune something?

edkiefer

Since Winpatrol is a AV type app, it is probably best to exclude the process that is getting all restraints.
Just right click on it in process list and "exclude from probalnce restraint" should help.
Bitsum QA Engineer

MGP

OK thanx, are there more shape liked type apps which needs standard to be excluded or does it depends on the count of restrian?

edkiefer

Most well known problem type apps are taken care of automatic, so normally you shouldn't run into this much at all.
Oh, I forgot to add, check if winpatrol has a exclude list option where you could add Processgovenor.exe (might want to check this first)
Bitsum QA Engineer

MGP

winpatrol has no a exclude list option, its only monitoring.

Jeremy Collake

Here is what you need to do:

1. In the Process Lasso main window, right-click on winpatrol.exe
2. Select 'Exclude from ProBalance restraint'
3. Then it's fixed.

Now, I am not sure there is an actual issue though. It may be entirely fine for ProBalance to act on winpatrol during the times it is. There are a lot of safeguards.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Saltheart

With WinPatrol there is a very quick CPU spike in the range of 10%, give or take, every few minutes. The spike does not last more than a few seconds and has no effect on the responsiveness of any other processes. Process Lasso provides a elegant solution to this and many types of unusual situations not specifically covered by default ProBalance features. My solution is first to exclude WinPatrol from ProBalance restraint. Next create a WatchDog2 rule that a CPU spike of >11% for >5 seconds should lower the CPU priority from Normal to Below Normal (same as ProBalance would do). Next create a WatchDog2 rule that once the spike <9% for 1 second, the CPU priority should return to Normal Priority (same as ProBalance would do). This eliminates the almost continual restraint start/stop due to the small quick spike of CPU use, but still covers any occasion where the spike would be larger than typical  for a longer period than normal. You are protected from the occasional high percent usage, long duration CPU spike without all the nuisance restraints.