Process exclusion list entries not kept

Started by MilesAhead, March 22, 2017, 11:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilesAhead

Hi.  I am running CpuBalance Pro 1.0.0.42 64 bit on Windows 8.0.  I tried adding entries to the process exclusion list using the Set Excluded Processes Button.  I type in the name of the exe file and hit the Add Button.  The name is transfered to the box.  But after I OK Button all the way out and reopen the list, the list is empty.

This occurs if I use Run As Administrator or not.

edkiefer

That's odd it works here (Win10).
sounds like it is not saving to ini file, check permission of the config folder and that it not set to read only.

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso\config
Bitsum QA Engineer

MilesAhead

Quote from: edkiefer on March 22, 2017, 11:55:24 AM
That's odd it works here (Win10).
sounds like it is not saving to ini file, check permission of the config folder and that it not set to read only.

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso\config

I just checked.  The .ini file was modified today.  It is not read-only.  In security tab system, administrator, and my account all have modification rights in the top five categories checked.  Also I tried putting in the complete path of the programs instead of just the exe filename.  It did not modify the file and the box was empty once I "OKd out" of the dialogs.  Opened the setting back up right away.  It is empty.

My system is a bit weird because it was Open Box.  It was a gift from someone on another continent so trying to exchange it was just too much hassle.  Stuff like Windows Update, Restore Points etc.. do not work.  Windows Installer I often have to run it then restore a system image with a rollback program and do it again etc..

But other than those quirks it does work.  The only other time I saw .ini file refuse to update was if they are under one of the Program Files folders.  But I took ownership of that and all subfolders and that cleared up that issue.  Usually in a case like this you close the program, then reopen it and the settings disappeared.  But I am seeing them disappear while the program is still running.  Really strange.

Edit:  As a work-around could you tell me the format of the ini file setting for excluded programs?  I wrote a few programs that work by monitoring the active window while running in the tray.  It is likely those will be the only ones I need to exclude.  At least until we figure it out.  :)

Edit2:  The other bit of information.. I cannot do anything with Task Scheduler on my system.  Even when I run CpuBalance manually I get the error about not being able to set a scheduled task to run elevated or whatever.  I don't know why that would have any effect on this issue but I thought I'd mention it.

edkiefer

Well, you could open in notepad and look for this line
Here is example with notepad

OocExclusions=notepad.exe
Bitsum QA Engineer

MilesAhead

Quote from: edkiefer on March 22, 2017, 04:49:44 PM
Well, you could open in notepad and look for this line
Here is example with notepad

OocExclusions=notepad.exe

Ok, but if there are multiple is it one on each line or comma separated list or ??  I am think just editing the ini file before starting the program might be the quickest way to try the exclusion feature.

Edit:  Comma separated seems to work afa adding them to the box.  :)

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

This may be a bug I'm tracking. Please hold, keep updating, and keep me updated.

There is a 'config gets reset' issue in v9 that is causing havoc like this, we'll see.

Thanks
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.