RFC - ProBalance Stand Alone App - ProBalance is a feature of Process Lasso)

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 15, 2016, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

https://bitsum.com/uprobalance/

Request For Comments.

Can run stand-alone, *or* right along-side Process Lasso.

Current state: ALPHA

It will go BETA soon, so I wanted to get community feedback, and am not sure many have even noticed this utility yet.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Note that debate or suggestions on the application name are also acceptable.

Again, it is intended to be *both* a stand-alone rendition of ProBalance, or an extension to Process Lasso, which I mention as that is a factor in choosing a name.

There *will* be some benefits to using this along-side Process Lasso, FWIW. I will be going through these as development continues. So, it will be kind of like an optional 'turbo-charger'.

Please feel free to be honest.

Turion

I think the name and icon is great. Installation was a breeze.

I'm running it along-side PL and noticed that the settings in uProBalance update PL ProBalance settings too. Cool.

I also notices that uProBalance settings have more fine tuning than PL's ProBalance. Would PL ProBalance be updated to this or is that by design?

As you said, it's just a small part of PL for those users who don't want all the bells and whistles. Just install and forget!  8)

Nice work!

Hotrod

I have been following the dialogue hoping for some insight into what exactly this animal IS and IS NOT. More description of it's purpose and function would be helpful. For example: When/why would I want to run this alone/with PL/ or PL alone? What benefits and or repercussions would each scenario have? Are there any specific scenarios where each would be more or less desirable? If it just does what probalance does, why would I need it? So far all descriptions have seemed a bit vague. I have not tried it yet because I just simply don't really know what it does or is used for. Provide us some clarity and you may find more testers come out of the woodwork. That said, I know it must be something great since JC doesn't spend his valuable time on just anything that pops up. I am looking forward to being sold on this as well as I was when I first laid eyes on Process Lasso. I can't imagine a day without it now.  8)

edkiefer

The way I see it right now, uProbalance takes the core Probalance module and puts it in a slimmed down app.
uProbalance gets you fast easy access to Insight and logs w/o having or needing GUI loaded of PL.

uProblance is "focused" on the Problance core of PL but w/o all the added features of the GUI gives you in PL.

Now these comments may change as its in Alpha state and changing daily.
Jermey will give better description of product, this is just what I see testing it now.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Turion on August 15, 2016, 09:54:20 PM
I also notices that uProBalance settings have more fine tuning than PL's ProBalance. Would PL ProBalance be updated to this or is that by design?

These are part of Lasso v9, and there will actually be more controls added - simpler ones (an aggressiveness slider) shortly.

I am hoping that I can create enough additional value in uProBalance itself to *also* be used as a *compliment* to Process Lasso Pro, but the areas in which that additional value will be expressed are not yet precisely defined. Maybe superior reporting.

chris635

So your intention is that both of these be run together? What exactly does this achieve that Process Lasso isn't already doing? I'm not trying to argue, just better understand why the two would compliment each other.

Chris
Chris

BenYeeHua

IMO, it can providing simple GUI that can update in shorter interval, as it don't required a lot of CPU usage for just refresh the Tray Icon. ;)
Unless I am wrong on the reduced resource on the GUI refresh. ::)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: chris635 on August 16, 2016, 03:31:00 PM
So your intention is that both of these be run together? What exactly does this achieve that Process Lasso isn't already doing? I'm not trying to argue, just better understand why the two would compliment each other.

It would provide extended control and display of the ProBalance algorithm. Yes, it's true, most existing users of Lasso probably won't need it, but maybe some non-Lasso users will, and a few Lasso licensees will want the extra control and display (systray icon).

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 25, 2016, 06:21:18 PM
It would provide extended control and display of the ProBalance algorithm. Yes, it's true, most existing users of Lasso probably won't need it, but maybe some non-Lasso users will, and a few Lasso licensees will want the extra control and display (systray icon).

Okay, got it.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

So I am facing two problems here:

1. What do I call it? I am not sure I like uProBalance.
2. How do I not cause it to result in a marketing clusterf*ck for Process Lasso?

Suggestions welcome, brain-storming over the next X weeks.

Thanks to all Bitsum users!

edkiefer

Yes, its going to be tough anyway you name it IMO.

But here a few, though I don't really like them either from naming, marketing, icon point of view, but its first thing that come to mind considering uProbalance is a cut-down version of PL .

ProcessLasso Lite
Probalance lite
ProcessLasso slim
ProcessLasso Micro
ProcessLasso Eco
Can substitute Probalance for ProcessLasso to in any above.

Could also Probalance 1 (meaning standalone)
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

I'm thinking maybe....

MicroP Lasso
      uLasso
      Process uLasso
      Process mIcroLasso
      Micro pL
      Probalance Lasso

Just quick off the kuff. I'm guessing you want the name to also be associated with Process Lasso.
I'll think a little longer on it.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Well, that's why it's tough. I could call it 'ProBalance', but then people would be highly confused as to whether ProBalance is an app, or a feature of Process Lasso, or both (which would be the case). 'Stand-Alone ProBalance' still may be best, as it implies there is a larger, more comprehensive, product that it is merely one feature of.