Snagit32.exe conflict (snagit 13.0.x)

Started by 4EverMaAT, August 22, 2016, 11:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4EverMaAT

There seems to be a conflict with Snagit32.exe (SnagIt 13) and Process Lasso ProBalance restraint system. 

Snagit is a screen capture software (screenshots photos and mp4 video).

I go though the process of taking video capture and that works.  But when Snagit tries to process the video, it would look like it was processing it and then suddenly say 'unable to save file'

TechSmith support told me initially to go through the process of resetting the Snagit registry entry.  This seemed to fix this issue of capture.

But then the bug returned.  I exempt Snagit32.exe from Process Lasso probalance and it seems that it can save the captures again without issue.

Can you comment on this?

I may have to exempt SnagitEditor.exe from this also if I have problems with that software.

edkiefer

Thanks for report.
I be interesting to see if just lowering the priority of snagit process in task manger (leave PL not running) and see if it has problem with encoding.
But, excluding it in PL is easiest fix for issues like that, but normally it is connected to AV type applications.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I am not convinced this issue with SnagIt saving files has anything to do with Lasso. It sounds more like an I/O issue of some sort. Did you check Lasso's log to see if ProBalance even touched it's process? If so, you could exclude it/them, but I am having a hard time theorizing how it could be possible, even with ProBalance 'restraint', for Lasso to *cause* this problem.

So, I would recommend this:
-Uninstall Process Lasso for a few days, or even week. You WILL miss it more than you may think, lol.
-When/if you see this SnagIt issue recur, then you know it is not related and can reinstall Process Lasso.
-If the week passes with no issues (and you did use SnagIt!), then reinstall Process Lasso and see if these issue still exists.

In other words, I just don't see this as being Process Lasso's doing, but won't rule it out (will investigate) if you give the above a try.

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

4EverMaAT

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 23, 2016, 08:54:52 AM
I am not convinced this issue with SnagIt saving files has anything to do with Lasso. It sounds more like an I/O issue of some sort. Did you check Lasso's log to see if ProBalance even touched it's process? If so, you could exclude it/them, but I am having a hard time theorizing how it could be possible, even with ProBalance 'restraint', for Lasso to *cause* this problem.

So, I would recommend this:
-Uninstall Process Lasso for a few days, or even week. You WILL miss it more than you may think, lol.
-When/if you see this SnagIt issue recur, then you know it is not related and can reinstall Process Lasso.
-If the week passes with no issues (and you did use SnagIt!), then reinstall Process Lasso and see if these issue still exists.

In other words, I just don't see this as being Process Lasso's doing, but won't rule it out (will investigate) if you give the above a try.

Thanks!

I wasn't fully convinced either after when I exempted Snagit, about an hour later I tried another video capture and saw that I still got the same 'unable to save file' bug.

They have released 13.0.2 to me semi-privately to see if it fixes the problem.  I will have a look later.

Why fully uninstall PL when I can just exempt individual processes?

BenYeeHua

QuoteWhy fully uninstall PL when I can just exempt individual processes?
For safe, you never know did there is any difference between just exclude it, or uninstall PL which still monitoring it. ;D

Hotrod

Have you tried classifying snagit as a game?? This would exempt it from restraint as well as switching automatically to high performance profile and possibly raising priority as needed all at once.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: 4EverMaAT on August 23, 2016, 11:02:09 PM
I wasn't fully convinced either after when I exempted Snagit, about an hour later I tried another video capture and saw that I still got the same 'unable to save file' bug.

They have released 13.0.2 to me semi-privately to see if it fixes the problem.  I will have a look later.

Why fully uninstall PL when I can just exempt individual processes?

How in the world *could* ProBalance cause that behavior is the question I ask myself, and I can't imagine a scenario. In some cases, I can imagine how a bug could happen, etc.. but not this.

1 hour is NOT ENOUGH.

You can test w/o uninstalling if you want, but give it more time than that, and if you still remain convinced, then, please, for my sake, just to make double-sure I am not on a snipe hunt, do the uninstall for a few days and use SnagIt during that time. I thank you for this. If it comes back there is a correlation, I will investigate 100% I promise.

Thank you. Ed, if you optionally want to try to reproduce, you can, though I prefer this test be completed first, as it's just so bizarre.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.