Go to Services

Started by parkd1, August 20, 2016, 09:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkd1

When you right click on a processe and click on go to services it will show all the services for that processe so if your has a high cpu you can track down what service might be the cause. This would be a great add. Thanks

edkiefer

Yes, a way to pick out the heavy loaded process would be helpful.

The problem is you never see just the process in process list, it shows up as the parent service, under which you can have multiple processes/services running.
But yes, being able to "find" the heavy loaded one would be great, something for action tab IMO.
Bitsum QA Engineer

parkd1

The windows task manager does this. That way you can stop them one by one to see what bone cause high cpu.

edkiefer

Yes, I know it shows highest cpu% and color marks it but the services are still in groups.
So I don't think task manger gives cpu% from child service under the parent (it shows cpu% of parent).

Anyway, I get what you mean, and agree, it has been requested, not sure how much work it would take to implement.
Bitsum QA Engineer

parkd1

Right. If Jeremy can do it, it would be a great add and maybe help he can take it a step further and make it better then what task manager does.

BenYeeHua

So far I am using Process Explorer for this, as it can list the process's threads are under which service. :)

Jeremy Collake

Yes, but Process Lasso is not Process Explorer and I don't want to be a task manager. Our user base barely tolerates the complexity as-is ;).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

parkd1

For what you  wrote it for it works very well. I see as a task manager too and it use as that too but I know it is not  intended for a task manager but it way better then the Windows one. Best program around for what it does. Even if it is not a task manager I keep coming back to Peocess Lasso. Keep up your great work on it.

edkiefer

How, about in future product/version, have a process tree view option, so we see parent and children.
I think that would be big step forward for power users.

That helps to get more info, but as BenYeeHua pointed out there is PE which is excellent and free.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on August 25, 2016, 07:00:02 PM
How, about in future product/version, have a process tree view option, so we see parent and children.
I think that would be big step forward for power users.

I've long considered a tree/listview combo like some task managers, but, again, I am not intending to replace or be a task manager. I'll add what features I can, but why would I compete in an industry inundated with great freeware? Process Lasso is NOT a task manager replacement. What task manager features it has, it has, and I'll add to as I'm able to easily do without being distracted from my core mission of doing *different* things.

It is also so much easier to say, "Add X" than it is to do X. So I have to be careful what I commit myself to.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: parkd1 on August 25, 2016, 06:27:22 PM
For what you  wrote it for it works very well. I see as a task manager too and it use as that too but I know it is not  intended for a task manager but it way better then the Windows one. Best program around for what it does. Even if it is not a task manager I keep coming back to Peocess Lasso. Keep up your great work on it.

I agree. That is why I try to add some task manager features and will try to add this, if able in reasonable time and resources, etc..

Oh, and, thank you!

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: WilliamHaw on October 15, 2016, 10:56:13 PM
Feature Request:
When editing the firewall services in the ACL it would be very nice to be able to select multiple items i.e. HTTP, Remote Desktop, File and Printer Sharing as opposed to the current one at a time.

Process Lasso allows multiple selections. However, it does not have an ACL list, so I wonder if you are speaking of a different product, or we have a terminology mis-match?