Compatibility update

Started by gman68w, June 12, 2016, 09:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman68w

I've just upgraded my whole tower from the AMD FX platform to the new Intel Skylake. i7-6700K, DDR4 RAM, and also transitioned from HDD to SSD as well as from Win7 to Win10 (Pro x64 edition).

Will PL be problematic with any of these elements? In fact, since I haven't begun loading up my system with lots of background apps, is PL even necessary for me?

edkiefer

Quote from: gman68w on June 12, 2016, 09:22:32 PM
I've just upgraded my whole tower from the AMD FX platform to the new Intel Skylake. i7-6700K, DDR4 RAM, and also transitioned from HDD to SSD as well as from Win7 to Win10 (Pro x64 edition).

Will PL be problematic with any of these elements? In fact, since I haven't begun loading up my system with lots of background apps, is PL even necessary for me?
Hi, You will have no problems with new OS and system, all should work as it should.
Depending on how you use your system and what programs you run will vary on improvement from PL, but It can still be very helpful on latest/fastest hardware.

Edit: I would even say its more important now with Win10, Win10 is very aggressive in its backgraound/services it runs, along with core parking.
With default system you will see cores parked even with mild usage and very dynamic on/off of background services and app.
There is still plenty to control, adjust in Win10.
Bitsum QA Engineer

gman68w

Jeremy Collake

Ed, that is a great, accurate, and well-composed response. I have nothing to add. Thank you.

FWIW, I migrated my 'heavy I/O' drives to SSDs some while back, so there is extensive testing there. But no matter how fast your SSDs, it doesn't make your CPU any faster. In fact, the increased rate of I/O may increase the rate of CPU utilization.

Process Lasso, and it's many algorithms and functions, remains as efficacious and necessary as ever.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

gman68w

Great! Nice to know I'll still be getting some use out of that lifetime license!

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: gman68w on June 30, 2016, 07:20:01 PM
Great! Nice to know I'll still be getting some use out of that lifetime license!

LOL, people are still trying to figure out what the 'catch' is to those. The other day I had a guy think maybe I meant the lifetime of the PC. And, of course, I always have to say 'minor and major versions', else they will think there is small print. I've broken the mold. Now, whether this is for my own good is debatable. It seems customers have become accustomed to paying for new major versions, so maybe I should just do like the rest and avoid all this confusion... Maybe I went the wrong way. It *would* be really nice to have recurring revenue from my user base.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Autumner

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 28, 2016, 04:03:52 PM
LOL, people are still trying to figure out what the 'catch' is to those. The other day I had a guy think maybe I meant the lifetime of the PC. And, of course, I always have to say 'minor and major versions', else they will think there is small print. I've broken the mold. Now, whether this is for my own good is debatable. It seems customers have become accustomed to paying for new major versions, so maybe I should just do like the rest and avoid all this confusion... Maybe I went the wrong way. It *would* be really nice to have recurring revenue from my user base.

Perhaps you should start a discussion here about this, to gauge user reaction and thoughts. Another option would be to retain current lifetime licenses but switch to a different system from now on. Personally, I wouldn't mind at all and I think the lifetime license of Process Lasso offers quite a lot, especially when compared to lesser software that will only last a year (you might still use the previous version, but it'll soon become obsolete and often without support).