Potential issue with Bitsum Highest Performance power profile? (core parking)

Started by bishi, June 08, 2016, 02:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bishi

I noticed today that I had some cores parking in a task manager. I was pretty sure I had never set this and I'm pretty sure its off by default in Win 10.

I checked under the Bitsum Highest Performance power profile that 'Processor performance core parking min cores' was set to 64%! Also the range of the entry would only go up to 64% maximum!
I had to edit the registry key at the following location so I could set the value to 100% again.:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\06cadf0e-64ed-448a-8927-ce7bf90eb35d

Potential bug in a recent update? 100 in hex is 64 in decimal so maybe a value was entered as hex by accident when it should not have been.
Not saying it was definitely a process lasso issue, just seems a strange one and I thought I would give you guys a friendly heads up :)

chris635

I checked mine on the latest version, and everything is set as it should be.
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: bishi on June 08, 2016, 02:26:39 PM
I noticed today that I had some cores parking in a task manager. I was pretty sure I had never set this and I'm pretty sure its off by default in Win 10.

I checked under the Bitsum Highest Performance power profile that 'Processor performance core parking min cores' was set to 64%! Also the range of the entry would only go up to 64% maximum!
I had to edit the registry key at the following location so I could set the value to 100% again.:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\06cadf0e-64ed-448a-8927-ce7bf90eb35d

Potential bug in a recent update? 100 in hex is 64 in decimal so maybe a value was entered as hex by accident when it should not have been.
Not saying it was definitely a process lasso issue, just seems a strange one and I thought I would give you guys a friendly heads up :)
Hi, Thanks for report.

That is not the default values set by Bitsum HP power profile, all CPU management should be 100%.
IMO something had to alter this, have you used any kind of tweaking app, speed up app.

Also please give version you are using, if it was ProcessLasso built in Core Parking or standalone Core Parking.

Thanks, Ed
Bitsum QA Engineer

bishi

I tried the built in one but it said it couldn't set the values when I hit apply.

Jeremy Collake

I can assure you that it correctly uses decimal and hexadecimal, so I'm thinking what you are seeing is a perceptual or display problem. Thus, how is it you are determining that it's set to only 64 (decimal)?

EDIT: If by RegEdit, please know it displays DWORD values in hexadecimal by default. Also, the failure to be able to set settings in ParkControl may be due to prior manual registry edits. This is something I've been trying to reproduce.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

bishi

Yes I could see in regedit that the value was incorrect - set to 100 hex instead of decimal. This is actually the first time I've needed to edit the registry on this install of Windows so if the registry has been affected by something before this it wasn't manual tampering.
I noticed it was the specific profile with an issue because i quickly tabbed through all of the other power profiles in there and they all had the correct 100 decimal entry.
Like I say, not saying it's definitely Process Lasso, it's just super strange that it was specifically hex 64 and only affecting the process lasso power profile.

Jeremy Collake

Apologies for the delay, I try not to get swamped in the little things so I can get big things done (or that's my excuse anyway!).

I, and others, have tested Process Lasso pretty well and just don't see this, so I can not explain the discrepancy except to say maybe there is an external factor. It's definitely no simple base issue in Lasso. Thanks for reporting it though. If others see it, maybe we can get a clue as to what the issue or confusion is.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.