Main Menu

Forum log in

Started by parkd1, April 28, 2016, 10:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkd1

I have to log into the forum everything I come back. I have it set for forever. I am using Firefox version 46 64bit Can you check on this? Thanks

edkiefer

Quote from: parkd1 on April 28, 2016, 10:37:03 AM
I have to log into the forum everything I come back. I have it set for forever. I am using Firefox version 46 64bit Can you check on this? Thanks
Hi, Just so we understand better are you coming directly to https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php
or your using link from menu option forum  https://bitsum.com/

If its the first sound like cookie issue, maybe clear then and retry.
Did this only happen when you updated to 46 ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

parkd1

I am using the link from menu option forum https://bitsum.com/

I think this only has happened with when I updated to version 46. I can try and clear the cookie and give it another try.

parkd1

Ok I cleared the cookies for this sit and thought it was working right then went to the home page and logged in with my e-mail and password and then went back to the forum and I was no longer logged in. Hope this helps out. Thanks.

edkiefer

ok, so I guess its because you don't use same data (user name-email/PW for each part of site (main site an forum).
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for notifying me. I am investigating, though also am trying not to get too side-tracked back into web dev again ;p.

There are a couple issues I see and am trying a few quick setting changes.

I don't know if it's related, but  the account bridge between the main site and the forum is either malfunctioning, or at the very least I need to define the expected behavior so we know what happens when there are pre-existing accounts at the forum that contradict the main site, and other scenarios.

However, this login issue I think is some server setting. Please hold, let me play around ;).

Curiously, it doesn't happen to me. However, on another system I am unable to log in at all, due to the lack of real IP discovery I think, causing it to hit the max attempts per IP. All traffic is first routed through a reverse proxy firewall these days (couldn't otherwise stand the risk of a 0-day exploit).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

The cookie expiration time was set to 1 day. I have changed that to 30 days. Please let me know if this changes the behavior. You will have to log in again. Let me know if this impacts.

Thanks!

parkd1

Jeremy Collake

Ok, please be patient, I'm keeping an eye on this now so will be able to ascertain what/if there is a problem. Of course, after any change, it will take at least one cycle (log back in) to take effect.

parkd1

Ok I will for you tell me when to try again.

Jeremy Collake

(15 days later)...

I think I am personally seeing what you have been seeing. Something is fishy and it's probably that WP2SMF bridge. I am going to have to hack on it's code a bit, as the maintainer seems long gone. It's fairly simple, so hopefully I can figure out what is going on. Of course, it's still possible it's also a server config, or even firewall server config issue.

It's inconsistent, that's about all I know at this point.

parkd1

ok I wait for when you are ready for me to do a test. Thanks

Jeremy Collake

Just let me know when it starts working right for you ;).

parkd1

Jeremy Collake

I think I may have finally got it... took a heck of a long time to track down, assuming I do have it. EDIT: Appears so.

You will have to log back in one more time.

Then it will work fine. The issue was that the cookie expiration time was always being set to NOW, thus it wasn't persisting. I manually fixed the bridge code and all is good.

parkd1

Still no go. I know you will get this. You should be able to be logged into both. I know it work right when only logged into one of them.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for checking. It's at least better, as I am now able to go back to the original web site, return here, and my connected account is not logged out. I'll keep working on it. Definitely the problem and answer is in that bridge, and it's really not a lot of code, I just have to trace the logic carefully when I get a chance.

parkd1

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, now this issue is driving *me* nuts. I use Social Login to make login quicker/easier, but I'll do what I can to finally resolve it.

Until then, I recommend everyone use social logins, which are possible at the main site and here.

BenYeeHua

Well, I don't closed the Bitsum tab, it just unloaded in my Nightly, so I never got log out issues, unless the servers auto-kick if 30 minutes no activity from the client, or Mozilla bite the cookies again. ;D

Jeremy Collake

I just made a few more adjustments, so you'll likely be forcefully logged out now - but maybe the situation gets better. I just don't have time to dig into this bridge, more important things to do and such. Still, hopefully I'll get there eventually.

parkd1

Wooot!!!!! So Far So good The last changes you did Seem To Work. I did notice on the home page it does not sale login any more when our logged in. Now I get logged out. So far I am logged into both. I closed Firefox a few time just to make sure I was still logged in to forums and so far it is keeping me logged in. Thank you very much for fixing this. :)

Jeremy Collake

That's great to hear ;). I thought the changes I made yesterday at least had a positive impact, but didn't want to jump the gun -- and I do believe there may still be issues. We'll see. Please keep updating us with your experiences!

parkd1

Will do if anything new happens or it stops working again. May have to update with new versions of Firefox when they come out. Just have to wait and see.

Jeremy Collake

I may also continue making minor tweaks. For instance, I just raised the cookie TTL a little more. Unless I set it to infinite, there will be sporadic times when you are logged out. However, it is looking better for sure. Thank goodness, lol. It was basically a one-line fix to the plugin.

parkd1

That last tweak you made logged me out but I logged back back in and tried a few time and it is still working. If you like every time you do a tweak to make it batter and work right, i can test it out.

Jeremy Collake

Well I think I'm done with the tweaking for now, so let's see how it goes ;). Your cookie will expire after 2880 minutes, so it will log you out after that time. We can expect that.

parkd1

So every two day you have to log back in?

Jeremy Collake

Yea, but I may change that -- one step at a time ;).

Tarnak

Test...I haven't visited in a while... Still around, though...I noticed Jeremy was over in the Malwarebytes forum , a short time ago. :)

Jeremy Collake

Yes, I try to be all places at all times ;).

As for this forum issue: I just now adjusted the cookie TTLs to essentially infinite, so maybe no logout will ever occur, but I won't guarantee that. I need to review the main site settings as well, etc...

Tarnak

Good to see... ;)  I have noticed the frequency of new PL betas has dropped off, markedly.  Is there a particular reason?

parkd1

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 22, 2016, 04:43:22 PM
Yea, but I may change that -- one step at a time ;).

Then one is the way you have it set and when I log in I can one day and week up to forever. Will this miss up what you have set?

Jeremy Collake

Because I am working on the v9 alpha branch mostly (releasing new build of that today).

Also - importantly - the present v8 build is very stable and doesn't need any major updates (which are for v9). All the recent minor updates have been back-ports from v9.

I've been busy doing a lot of other things too, like completing this massive change of our web infrastructure, but I don't reckon you are asking for an audit of my time ;).

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: parkd1 on June 22, 2016, 05:06:53 PM
Then one is the way you have it set and when I log in I can one day and week up to forever. Will this miss up what you have set?

No, that's just the cookie TTL, choose whatever you want, I just set a large default (maybe too big).

parkd1

It seems you have fixed the login when I leave the site and I have closed the browser many time just and all is fine but it seems that I have to log in each day. Not sure how long it is keeping logged in. Guessing it is a day. I have it set for forever. What you have done so far seems to help. Maybe you found out why it is having me log in each day. Thanks.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: parkd1 on June 28, 2016, 10:50:13 AM
It seems you have fixed the login when I leave the site and I have closed the browser many time just and all is fine but it seems that I have to log in each day. Not sure how long it is keeping logged in. Guessing it is a day. I have it set for forever. What you have done so far seems to help. Maybe you found out why it is having me log in each day. Thanks.

That part is intentional when I set the cookie TTL to 'daily' (basically). As a security matter, it really should have some limit.

parkd1

Agree on that. Maybe like every month or something it will log you out and you have to log back in. Just a thought.

Hotrod

I use LastPass and never give it a second thought.  8)

BenYeeHua

Quote from: parkd1 on June 28, 2016, 11:06:43 AM
Agree on that. Maybe like every month or something it will log you out and you have to log back in. Just a thought.

Yup, many Chinese website is set to be like that, but I guess they are doing it on the server side, not the Cookies. :)

Jeremy Collake

Well, good news, it is fixed!

Bad news is that this is no longer the 'primary' forum, instead trying to use This New Bitsum Community which better integrates with our new infrastructure.

Tarnak

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on December 01, 2016, 05:38:11 AM
Well, good news, it is fixed!

Bad news is that this is no longer the 'primary' forum, instead trying to use This New Bitsum Community which better integrates with our new infrastructure.

I posted in this thread at least six months ago, and had problems trying to login then.   Now, I have just realized why I have ended up with two passwords, one of which is an old one, and is the one that has taken me to the 'old look' forum.   I created the second password at this time, i.e. six or so months ago, when I had problems logging in.  But, at the time I didn't understand why I ended up with two passwords. I ended up joining some community by mistake, which I had mentioned to Jeremy at the time.  I tried to get my username removed from their forums, but was unsuccessful.