Suspension of apps

Started by chris635, April 07, 2016, 07:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris635

It would be nice to have Processlasso keep apps in windows 10 from suspending. If it is possible? I run my machines for days before a reboot and after about a 24 hours, the searchui app or windows store app..etc, will crash causing all other apps that are suspended to crash. You wont know it until you click on the app you want to run and it will crash. The only way around it I have found, is to have a watch dog process set for these apps to restart every 15 minutes....CPU less than 1% terminate...the app will then restart on its own, which in turn prevents the crash's. For some reason, long extended runs with theses apps suspending for long periods of time causes them to crash for me. I have done several re installs over the last 7 months or so, same thing happens.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

I can say that suspended processes is an area that I am working on in the v9 code. I hadn't specifically thought about preventing them from suspending though, and I don't know if that is realistic. It might be possible, and might work out though - so let me get back to you on this.

I can say that suspended processes are natural and by design in Windows 10, so they should not be cause of such application crashes. Have you got any search plugins or shell extensions installed? I can't help but think that may be the true cause of your crashes surrounding searchui.exe ... The self-restart you see is probably it recovering from being in an error state. You may want to check the Windows Event logs to see if any clues are there, such as a crash report...

In any event, this is an area we'll be playing with more in v9, and while I'm not sure it will resolve your issue, I'll add as much control over these suspended processes as possible.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

It's the whole app container that crashes. You will not know until you open a specific app, in which case all apps will crash if you try to launch any of them.  A specific app you launch will try to open, then crash, then you can open it. If I can keep them from suspending for any long periods of time, it doesn't happen. I don't have any plugins except maybe malwarebytes context menu entry.
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: chris635 on April 08, 2016, 02:12:46 PM
It's the whole app container that crashes. You will not know until you open a specific app, in which case all apps will crash if you try to launch any of them.  A specific app you launch will try to open, then crash, then you can open it. If I can keep them from suspending for any long periods of time, it doesn't happen. I don't have any plugins except maybe malwarebytes context menu entry.
Don't know if this would be counter productive but how about disabling all the back ground app you don't need running all the time.
Win10 has whole bunch of apps just running in background, maybe limiting some of them will help.
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

I thought I tried that before, but I'll give a shot just in case.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, that's really odd. Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would not tolerate this situation. Ed's on the right track, but I would approach it from the other direction - start fresh and slowly add apps back:

1. Make sure data is abstracted from the OS (e.g. cloud storage or backups) so you can reinstall the OS.
2. Reinstall the OS (Win10) from scratch. No repair or upgrade.
3. At first, do not install any third-party security software or anything you don't absolutely need. Regarding security software, remember that Windows Defender is silently running in the background and actually not bad.
4. Start using your PC. If you do not see the problem for X days (or whatever time frame you can be *sure* the issue is not present), then slowly start to add desired applications. If the behavior returns, then you can attribute it to the addition of application X, Y, or Z.

So basically common sense I guess. It's PITA to do this, so you'll have to weigh it against dealing with this issue.

Going backwards, trying to elucidate what is causing the problem, or what may resolve it, is going to be near impossible, or at least much more difficult.

chris635

The problem is either AIDA64 or Office 2016 (Outlook). One of these two is the problem and all two are set to run 24/7. Other than these programs my other two machines are set up the same way and they don't have the same issues. I may try turning them off for a couple of days then add them back one by one. My initial fix works fine though.
Chris

edkiefer

I don't see why you would need AiDA64 running 24/7, its BM suite, if you need HW monitoring use HW64, or OpenHardwareMonitor.
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Here's why I use it 24/7.
Chris

edkiefer

Is that rainmeter plugin or AIDA does that as option
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Chris

chris635

Looks like it was ADIA64 causing it. I have been running this system for 24 hours straight without AIDA64 running and I don't have the issues. Jeremy would it still be possible to have a means to keep apps from suspending?
Chris

edkiefer

You could maybe try HW64 , that has a lot of plugins an options, you can also adjust polling rate which I like, I never tried doing what you have as desktop.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Or just reporting this issues to AIDA if you don't want to switch to another software, as they might just fix it. :)

chris635

I uninstalled AIDA...and it did it again. I have completely reinstalled windows 10 and checking each program and app to narrow what the problem was. May take a week or two of testing of slowly adding programs back. So far so good.
Chris

BenYeeHua

Windows 10 Redstore might be released on June, so you may also get this issues fixed by Microsoft at that time, if it happen again. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on April 24, 2016, 09:05:57 AM
Windows 10 Redstore might be released on June, so you may also get this issues fixed by Microsoft at that time, if it happen again. ;)

I have found some of the 'fast ring' releases to definitely be beta quality, but I really love this fast incremental approach to development of Windows 10. Reminds me of another company.... Bitsum! ;)

@Chris: Good luck on your search!

chris635

Okay...so I figured it out. Jriver media causes this. I used to use itunes for my music, but switched to jriver media (much better than itunes!!!). It has something to do with shell integration. Now you can turn this feature off in jriver, but the problem still persists. The mere fact that it is even installed (doesn't need to be running) still produces the problem, it just takes longer when not running. It screws with everything in the app container, specifically shellexperiencehost.exe. So I set a watch dog to terminate this. Now this process controls your start menu operation and right clicks on pinned programs in the taskbar (so no jump lists or start menu). Well that sucks. I went to jriver media forums, and a lot folks have the same problem. According to the devs there it is a windows 10 problem...so wait windows 10 is broke and not your software? So I installed as a different media program on my laptop..I installed foobar..guess what..the same thing happened then too! Itunes, it works fine.So it does look like a windows 10 problem. In the mean time I have installed start10 to get around this.
Chris

BenYeeHua

Quoteshell integration
Nobody really get it working without causing any issues. :P

You may try Autoruns and look on the "Explorer", some software just disable it without unregister it, so the dll is still being loaded and has a chance to cause issues. :)

chris635

A script was recently created to stop searchui and shellexperiencehost (they restart on their own no problems) when jriver is running. Works well. I will try autoruns and uncheck .dll for explorer for testing.
Chris