Upgrading from 8.0.6.4-64 -> 8.9.6.8-64?

Started by Mark_Kratzer, March 09, 2016, 08:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_Kratzer

If I upgrade, will all my settings be maintained and effectively the upgrade will be transparent?

I don't want to have to start tweaking things.

Thanks.

edkiefer

Yes, it is seamless, just use the auto updater (menu>updates>check for updates).

Just so you know all your settings are in a ini file, default is "C:\Users\"name"\AppData\Roaming\ProcessLasso\config "

You could back it up in the folder to for safe keeping and you can view config file through menu >files options.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Mark_Kratzer

I will upgrade tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for the swift response!

Mark_Kratzer

Except for having to reactivate.  It was really seamless.  Thanks!

Mark_Kratzer

Is help file CHM v4.3 the correct one for this version?

Thanks.

Mark_Kratzer

One more question, please.

I thought this version was supposed to get rid of all these Norton log entries warning about "unauthorized access blocked"?  Meaning play nicer with my firewall/AV software?

Thanks.

Mark_Kratzer

Okay, it seems a reboot got rid of the Norton issues.  Never mind.  Thanks!

edkiefer

Glad it working good .

A/V should work better but with A/V software it is a moving target, they change a lot.

The Help should be good baseline to go by, while technically not totally up to date should cover most things . Not sure if smartTrim stuff was added .
Everything with Probalance and other basic functions it will cover fine.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Mark_Kratzer

I think I must have showed up here almost a year ago.

To a good extent, I hand tuned the most major things on my 6/HT core OCed Win7-64 system.  Why?  Well, is there such a thing as a geek gene?  If there is, it must be a dominant trait I have.

But what keeps me hooked on PL is that I see it as a safety net.  In the sense, that it isn't really possible for some unexpected program to freeze me out of the system.  And as its resource utilization is low, there is negligible cost for this insurance.

I did try when I first got it to put it on a 7 year old system to see what impact it would have.  The impact was minimal as the reality is that slow hardware will still be slow hardware; and cannot really be accelerated too much by good software.

I am pretty satisfied with PL.  I could see it being of great value you in a software development environment were there is a greater mix of concurrent software; I mean who plays more than a single game at once?  And there is the constant errant program or the program that fails consider that the user might actually be trying to write an email while running.

Ed and Jeremy, thank you!

edkiefer

Yeh, no problem .

On your comment of usage on slow systems, its been my experience that PL actually works better there.
As the slower systems have less extra processing power , getting sluggish response can happen more then a fast modern system. I found PL improves this is more apparent in slower systems, in every day use .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Mark_Kratzer

Many years ago, I had a PC configured for triple boot:  OS/2, DOS/Win3, and LINUX.

I was amazed how well LINUX performed compared to the others.  It dawned on me that the secret goal of what would become the NT kernel merged with Windows was to sell hardware upgrades.  :)