Changing Priority Class for ArmA 3 in Active Processes crashes Process Lasso

Started by DWreck1995, December 30, 2015, 06:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWreck1995

So here is what happens. I have Process Lasso Pro. Its all at default setting besides activating Game Mode automatically when I start ArmA 3. After it starts I see "arma3.exe" in the Active Processes tab. I right click it and boom, the window closes and launches itself. I've tried it for ArmA 2 just to see what happens and it works fine. If you need any information form me just let me know.

Thanks, Derek R.

edkiefer

I got a few questions that might narrow down whats happening.

When you say it closes and restarts you mean game restarts itself , PL didn't change ?

Maybe you could try this, do the same but with game mode not set for this game.

Last set the priority before starting game and see what happens (do this through options>configure CPU priority, and add game exe).

The game might have some kind of protection running.

Edit: Also does the same thing happen in task manager or Process Explorer.
Bitsum QA Engineer

DWreck1995

Quote from: edkiefer on December 30, 2015, 07:02:53 PM
I got a few questions that might narrow down whats happening.

When you say it closes and restarts you mean game restarts itself , PL didn't change ?

Maybe you could try this, do the same but with game mode not set for this game.

Last set the priority before starting game and see what happens (do this through options>configure CPU priority, and add game exe).

The game might have some kind of protection running.

Edit: Also does the same thing happen in task manager or Process Explorer.

What I meant by it restarts itself is as soon as I right click "arma3.exe" the screen goes away, aka crashes. But if I go back to the bottom right corner of the screen where my applications are running and it will show up as running still so I can reopen it immediately.

I tried it with and without gaming mod enabled.

I've also manually set the priority but it does not change.

What did you mean about task manager?

edkiefer

Quote from: DWreck1995 on January 01, 2016, 12:35:56 AM
What I meant by it restarts itself is as soon as I right click "arma3.exe" the screen goes away, aka crashes. But if I go back to the bottom right corner of the screen where my applications are running and it will show up as running still so I can reopen it immediately.

I tried it with and without gaming mod enabled.

I've also manually set the priority but it does not change.

What did you mean about task manager?
Windows task manager (Ctrl+Shift +Esc keys) , process tab and set priority there (it only last till you reboot or restart the app).
Oh, I found this guide on Arma3 , so it must be working for others ok (look at system optimization).

http://wiki.day0.com.au/ArmA_3_Performance_Tweaks_and_Settings_Guide#My_Optimized_Settings

Also while might not apply to you, with any stability issue i recommend disabling "show processes icon in list"  , if its enabled (setting is under view menu ).
Bitsum QA Engineer

DWreck1995

Quote from: edkiefer on January 01, 2016, 07:51:13 AM
Windows task manager (Ctrl+Shift +Esc keys) , process tab and set priority there (it only last till you reboot or restart the app).
Oh, I found this guide on Arma3 , so it must be working for others ok (look at system optimization).

http://wiki.day0.com.au/ArmA_3_Performance_Tweaks_and_Settings_Guide#My_Optimized_Settings

Also while might not apply to you, with any stability issue i recommend disabling "show processes icon in list"  , if its enabled (setting is under view menu ).

Thanks for the info. Okay I tired task manager and it worked fine. I read through the guide and changed some things. Also after I removed the icons and started ArmA I was able to change the priority to high. When I went to try again the problem happened again. I haven't been able to get it to work again. But I would like to set it to real time and change some other priority's to still.

edkiefer

Ok, that is odd results , not sure whats going on here, we never got this kind of report before.

On your settings, there really is no need to raise a process that in in foreground (full screen game) , the main thing is controlling all the other back-ground processes so they don't take away CPU% .
That is done automatically within Probalance, but you can micro manage a few if you want.
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

QuoteOn your settings, there really is no need to raise a process that in in foreground (full screen game) , the main thing is controlling all the other back-ground processes so they don't take away CPU% .
Well, I think it is needed if you are using a very old computer and/or old windows, there is still someone benefit from setting it to higher priority.

But anyways, as long as your CPU is start from the Intel i series, then it should not has this issues. :)

DWreck1995

Quote from: edkiefer on January 02, 2016, 08:14:07 AM
Ok, that is odd results , not sure whats going on here, we never got this kind of report before.

On your settings, there really is no need to raise a process that in in foreground (full screen game) , the main thing is controlling all the other back-ground processes so they don't take away CPU% .
That is done automatically within Probalance, but you can micro manage a few if you want.

After rebooting my PC, even though I used the 'always' tab to set it, it is now back to normal. Which is strange...

edkiefer

Have you tired same thing with other processes .
Does PL save priority on other processes set to always ?

Check that your game is still in list , Options>Configure default cpu priority
Bitsum QA Engineer

DWreck1995

Quote from: edkiefer on January 02, 2016, 09:05:20 PM
Have you tired same thing with other processes .
Does PL save priority on other processes set to always ?

Check that your game is still in list , Options>Configure default cpu priority
Yes as far as I can see it will set priority in any other application I have tested. Just not ArmA 3. Windows Task Manager will set it every time, but I have not been able to set it again in PL since that one time and I has not remembered the setting.

edkiefer

That is weird, only thing I can think is there some kind of protection added and they coded to let task manager work .

I don't have Arma3 but do have Arma2 demo and that works fine .

Please check that the game is still listed properly in Options>Configure default cpu priority.
You should see Arma3.exe and the priority to high (or whatever you set) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I am setting up a test bed ASAP to debug what in the world is going on here, so should have some information at that time. Until then, we can only speculate.

I can say that any crash within Process Lasso's code base should be handled gracefully, so I suspect that the crash is occurring in another module mapped into Process Lasso's address space. Whether it's part of the game (maybe API hooks for protection) or what, is again only speculation until I go and look.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

DWreck1995

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 04, 2016, 10:26:48 AM
I am setting up a test bed ASAP to debug what in the world is going on here, so should have some information at that time. Until then, we can only speculate.

I can say that any crash within Process Lasso's code base should be handled gracefully, so I suspect that the crash is occurring in another module mapped into Process Lasso's address space. Whether it's part of the game (maybe API hooks for protection) or what, is again only speculation until I go and look.

Alright thank you for the help. I'll wait to hear back from you