PL having trouble with Windows8

Started by Kompany, November 05, 2015, 04:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kompany

Hello,

First off I just want to say Process Lasso is the exact sort of software I had dreamed about before I stumbled upon this site. Can't thank you enough for your generosity in allowing a free version. Especially in my case where I am still a college student and penny pinching is a must. You have my word once I graduate and have a substantial income I'll GLADLY donate to keep the cause going.

Now for my issue, nothing complex, but when I open my Task Manager and view "Operating System Context" it is showing Lasso ( As well as the Governor ) configured for Windows 7. I have Windows 8 and have only ever had Windows 8 (came pre-installed) on this system. I'm also about 80% sure a few days ago when I first noticed this, it said configured for Windows Vista.

I'm not sure how "real" of an issue this is, but I had been wanting to stop by and say thank you for such a magnificant creation for some time now, and decided why not bring it up :)

Thank you in advance for any help !

Jeremy Collake

Hi,

The Application Compatibility Assistant may have made this determination automatically, which is a bit disconcerting, but not a major issue. I'm not sure what is going on, but I'll investigate and get back to you. In any event, it should not affect the operation of Process Lasso in any way. Please hold for further guidance.

Thanks!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Kompany

Thank you for taking the time to investigate, I can't begin to imagine how busy your life is ...

Just read your write-up on rootkits, half the world has no idea how at risk they really are online. I bring this up because I wouldn't rule out a rootkit on my PC. Long story short, my previous roommate paid zero attention to online safety procedures and would "click" or "agree" to almost anything he came across on a site. I would constantly remind him of basic tips (turn off Java, etc.) but he never took it seriously. Living under the same roof we had to share WI-FI, which in turn left me vulnerable. I know more than average in terms of PC but I'm learning that there is always someone who is more advanced than the next. I bring this up only because I didn't intentionally mean to bring you excess stress and it is a possibility that you/your software have done absolutely nothing wrong, and in fact I have a 24/7 nosy hacker.

Thanks again and hope you can help!
P.S. Just my 2-cents i'm almost certain this Blackhat has found a way to take over Windows Defender, giving me phony updates to my AV definitions. Sounds ~impossible~ to lots I'm sure, but I'm almost certain I'll be hearing about the MSE loopholes, whether it be next week or in 5 years.

Jeremy Collake

Security software, at best, has a 40% detection rate of malware, because malware is specifically crafted to get around it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Windows Defender's update mechanism has been co-opted. The update systems of various OSes and products (even cell phones and mobile devices) has been a 'weak link' that the NSA and such have used to take over systems by pushing bad updates through.

As for a rootkit, you're right, no way to rule that out. I dunno if that's anything to do with the Compatibility settings, but always a risk, especially given what you've revealed above. Malware or just other software on the PC could also impact these settings.

FWIW, I personally do several reinstalls of Windows a year for my primary systems, and keep the development system in an isolated virtual machine.

chris635

I just did a fresh install yesterday (Windows 10). Process Lasso was one of the first pieces of software I installed. In the task scheduler, it was configured for Vista. I fixed that right up. Only security software installed is Windows Defender.

Chris
Chris

Jeremy Collake

My preliminary analysis:

First, again, this is a non-serious 'issue' that is both normal and in no way impacts the functionality of Process Lasso. It's more a notation by the OS.

The cause is me not explicitly specifying in the embedded Application Manifest support for Windows 8 and above. This caused Windows to default to Windows 7 (or possibly lower in Win10) compatibility settings 'just in case'. It makes sense for this to be the default response.

So, that's what is going on.

However, again, it doesn't at all matter. That said, I'll be fixing this up in a coming minor update.

Kompany

Apologies for the delayed response, this weekend was busy beyond belief.

I will leave the compatibility issue alone as I trust you it will not hinder performance.

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from in terms of online security. It's often classified as paranoia, when really it's just the reality of the day we live in, that few seem to comprehend (Including Sony ;) )
I'll be looking forward to the next update, as well as future progression of Lasso.

If Microsoft refuses to invest into your cause they are more foolish than I think :)

Take care, and thanks again.

-Kompany

Jeremy Collake

Most major corporations don't innovate very much at all. They play it safe. Conservative. That's why they acquire start-ups. They let others take the risk. So, that's why you won't see our tech at Microsoft.

However, I do have news related to one of our technologies -- I'll be writing an article soon it. Basically, it's an 'I told you so!'. Intel is fixing an issue regarding ramp-up delay caused by the slow OS response to a bursting load. If you've read my harping on the advantages of Bitsum Highest Performance power plan and ParkControl, you may understand why this is important. For a decade now, they've told us that the ramp-up delay was negligible. Apparently not so much.  (Thanks to Ed for pointing me to the article!)

In order to get unique and innovative things done, you really have to think outside the box and not just trust whatever it is you hear. Anyway, article soon.

As for the Application Compatibility Setting, I'm working on it now. It truly is meaningless. More like a 'classification' than any big difference. A handful of APIs that aren't even used by Process Lasso may behave differently, that's all it means.

edkiefer

Right, as I look at my resource meter , I have many process list as Application Compatibility Setting with Vista setting, like 30% or so.

There from big companies too, Like Intel , Logitech , Nvidia , DTS etc
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

And also my antivirus. ;)

QuoteAs for the Application Compatibility Setting, I'm working on it now. It truly is meaningless. More like a 'classification' than any big difference. A handful of APIs that aren't even used by Process Lasso may behave differently, that's all it means.
Just like WHQL driver, it can still crashing the system but it can pass the WHQL. ;D

So I guess any software don't has this setting means they(dev) don't know about this? :)

QuoteHowever, I do have news related to one of our technologies -- I'll be writing an article soon it. Basically, it's an 'I told you so!'. Intel is fixing an issue regarding ramp-up delay caused by the slow OS response to a bursting load. If you've read my harping on the advantages of Bitsum Highest Performance power plan and ParkControl, you may understand why this is important. For a decade now, they've told us that the ramp-up delay was negligible. Apparently not so much.  (Thanks to Ed for pointing me to the article!)
Will waiting for this one, but I guess this is always a issues on Android/Smartphone, as you can't control it. ;)

Jeremy Collake

I have now made the necessary adjustments so that Process Lasso and ParkControl are properly listed as supporting Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. That includes corresponding Windows Server editions.

This should fix us up going forward.

Whether the application compatibility settings will auto-reset or not is something we'll determine in testing.

The fixed build is v8.8.9.1 beta. It will go final this week.