ParkControl Error, "Insufficient Rights"

Started by SquidNinja, August 02, 2014, 03:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidNinja

I recently downloaded ParkControl V1.7, and have run into a bit of a snag. Initially, I was able to adjust the sliders and apply with no problem. When I first did this, I didn't actually know what I was doing so I closed it and did two things that may have factored into my problem: 1. I downloaded the Reg Tweak that shows park settings in the Windows power options, and 2. I changed a certain registry setting as per instructed by a separate video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pl3u9eiskM4).

After turning my computer on the next day, I checked the performance tab of the task manager and noticed that several cores were parked. The registry edit I had previously done was supposed to disable parking all together, by setting a min and max value both to 0. I opened ParkControl in hopes to unpark the cores again, but each time I try to apply after changing the values in any way, I get this message: "ERROR in changing parameters. You may have insufficient rights!" 

I made sure the program was run as admin each time, and even tried without admin rights, but the problem remained. I opened the power options to test the reg tweak I downloaded, and noticed a similar issue. I could not change either value without it resetting to zero every time I left the field. I should note that these are not the same values as the ones I reg-edited; the power options are at 0% - referring to the amount of cores to be unparked at all times- and the registry values I changed myself were something else (I actually don't remember at the time of writing).

It seems something is preventing me from changing the park settings in any way, regardless of the power setting or permissions. If anyone has a clue what could be causing this problem, I would appreciate hearing it.

edkiefer

I have no idea on this but did you make a backup to the key edited (always do this so you can restore if something goes wrong) .

In windows power config , did you try the restore option ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Another user... :P
https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,3721.0.html

TR;DR:You change the settings that limit the max value you can set in PowerPlans settings, not the PowerPlans settings.
Don't change the settings(1) that control/set the limit to another setting(2), or it will break any settings(3, 4, 5...) that need that setting(2). ::)

You can just change the ValueMax value back to 100, then it will be fine. :)

Jeremy Collake

I did remove the native 64-bit ParkControl, replaced with the 32-bit only. I don't guess that is the (or any) issue though... I am looking into what may be happening.

Are you running as a Limited User by chance?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Based on what he said before, I guess the answer is nope, and the YouTube that he gave is change the Max value, which will break ParkControl, and Core-Parking.

If the user changed the Max Value and ParkControl will receive this information as it is broken, it is not a bad info too. ;)
QuoteI made sure the program was run as admin each time, and even tried without admin rights, but the problem remained. I opened the power options to test the reg tweak I downloaded, and noticed a similar issue. I could not change either value without it resetting to zero every time I left the field. I should note that these are not the same values as the ones I reg-edited; the power options are at 0% - referring to the amount of cores to be unparked at all times- and the registry values I changed myself were something else (I actually don't remember at the time of writing).

SquidNinja

Thank you all for the replies, I went back into regedit and changed each of the max values back to 64 (their default), as BenYeeHua suggested, and now I can apply ParkControl settings without any kind of error. I completely disabled parking through the program, and after checking the resource monitor I can confirm that everything is working as it should now. So changing the max value to zero will prevent you from using gui park settings, and apparently in some systems cause the cpu to park MORE than it usually does. Thanks again for the help, I hope anyone else who happens to do the same thing finds this easily enough.

BenYeeHua

Jeremy Collake

I will work to better handle this scenario in the near future!

Tari Galiyan

I checked the performance tab of the task manager and noticed that several cores were parked. The registry edit I had previously done was supposed to disable parking all together, by setting a min and max value both to 0. I opened ParkControl in hopes to unpark the cores again, but each time I try to apply after changing the values in any way
Our Actual Exams and    [url=http://www.pass4sure.co.uk/CCNA-training.html]Pass4sure - ccna pdf notes[/url]   gre exam provide you 100% pass guarantee. You can get access to and exams. Our    [url=http://www.curry.edu/]curry.edu[/url]   is also very useful tool.

BenYeeHua

You need to be smarter, bot, but too bad you are just a bot, not AI, so you can't do that. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Manually editing the registry can cause ParkControl to become confused. I need to work on a mechanism to detect and fix cases where someone followed erroneous online guidance. It's on my TODO list :).