svchost.exe hogs cpu on win 7

Started by willson, September 10, 2015, 02:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willson

New Lasso user here, not very techy. I got Lasso to stop svchost system from using 50% of cpu. It stayed at 50% on two identical computers with Lasso. (no programs running). Then I activated windows Live mail on one computer and cpu dropped to 22%. Other computer I activated a charting program, but svchost remained near 50%. I tried Smarttrim (no change).  The text in the chart says: "6 proBalance Restraints, 4 today"
I feel that svcshost is way overhogging, what should I do?
Regards, Willson

edkiefer

Quote from: willson on September 10, 2015, 02:19:50 PM
New Lasso user here, not very techy. I got Lasso to stop svchost system from using 50% of cpu. It stayed at 50% on two identical computers with Lasso. (no programs running). Then I activated windows Live mail on one computer and cpu dropped to 22%. Other computer I activated a charting program, but svchost remained near 50%. I tried Smarttrim (no change).  The text in the chart says: "6 proBalance Restraints, 4 today"
I feel that svcshost is way overhogging, what should I do?
Regards, Willson
Hi Svchost.exe is for all OS service processes , so it can be a whole host of back ground processes . It triggered by OS , normally these things sort themselves out as OS has a strategy , you are just not aware of it .

I would give it some time and just note it , note you can see in GUI what is linked to each instance of Svchost.exe , if you see one always high on cpu% you maybe can narrow down the processes it has in it or try updating a driver to any processes .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yes, svchost.exe is for OS service, normally it don't take a lot of CPU usage, when it does, then it means something happen to the system.

It is better that you download Process Explorer, then check which services is running under that process, and using a lot of cpu usage. :)
Something like this.

Just double click on the svchost.exe that are using a lot of CPU usage, then switch to "Threads", you should see there is "Service" in the Column, and that is the name of the service,
By looking at it, then you will know which service are using a lot of CPU, and Google the name should helps you to find out why it's happening. ;)

PS: If you want Process Lasso to restraint it before you find out why, then you can untick the Options - ProBalance Settings ... - Do not act on the system services

edkiefer

Thanks BenYeeHua , I forget to mention PE .
Bitsum QA Engineer

willson

Thanks for help. I will take some time, day or two, to get further on this.
But one additional anomaly: For three hours this morning svcHost System ran at 50% as I stated above, BUT after hour three, it dropped back to under 5% and has remained low ever since, even after restarting computer and my programs.  I am baffled how in three hours something changed Does anyone have opinion? Lasso could not take that long could it?
Regards

BenYeeHua

Quote from: willson on September 10, 2015, 08:28:05 PM
Thanks for help. I will take some time, day or two, to get further on this.
But one additional anomaly: For three hours this morning svcHost System ran at 50% as I stated above, BUT after hour three, it dropped back to under 5% and has remained low ever since, even after restarting computer and my programs.  I am baffled how in three hours something changed Does anyone have opinion? Lasso could not take that long could it?
Regards
Did it start after your Windows Update has updated your system?
It can be the Windows has updated, and you has idle the computer for a long time, then Automatic Maintenance is running to processing the idle task. :)

And yes, by looking at the Process Explorer and find out which service is doing it will always be the quickest way to find the clues. ;)