Early alpha preview of ParkControl PRO

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 20, 2015, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

Since I've NOT yet completed all functionality, I'm keeping the status ALPHA. I've still got lots of little polishing to do, so we're not ready for testing and bug reports. This is just a preview.

However, the bulk of the code base, installer, and all the mechanisms that make things work are done and should function well. Perhaps it takes a programmer to appreciate that it's all 'together' and ready to quickly be built-up from here.

The system tray icon dynamically changes depending on the core parking state.

The dialog can be opened any time, the same ParkControl dialog you've seen before.

The installer should auto-correct for the right bit-size, but here are the distinct builds:

32-bit: https://bitsum.com/files/beta/parkcontrolsetup32.exe
64-bit: https://bitsum.com/files/beta/parkcontrolsetup64.exe

The list of remaining polishing chores is too big to list here, but if you notice something, rest assured it's *already* on my list. In other words, please don't - YET. We'll be in beta territory soon enough.

We are still set for a final release next week, at which time I'll assign activation codes and such.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Posted build v0.0.1.4 alpha just now.

- Fixes start at user login (was running in dialog mode, not system tray mode)
- Other minor

BenYeeHua

Yup, just a small bug for the installer.

Pointing on the "ParkControl" don't show any Desciption, but "Launch ParkControl" showing "Launch Process Lasso". ;D
---
Strange, after install, it just run 2 ParkControl for me(maybe the effect of me clicking on the Tray Icon too), and then they hang together.
Maybe set a limit for running how many ParkControl at the same time? :)
---
And also the icon is a bit strange, maybe remove the black edge for the P, or make sure all edge are black.
---
Just a strange idea for newbie friendly, maybe adding a little P under the parked core, if they don't understand the meaning of grey? :)

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for these observations. I'll make sure the start menu description is right, though what you may be seeing is a conflict with Process Lasso's installer.

It shouldn't be possible to have two instances of ParkControl running, but apparently it is. I'll evaluate this. It *could* be an older version included with Lasso.

Yes, another indicator for the parked cores is desirable.

Also, definitely work on the icons is continuing ;)

Jeremy Collake

v0.0.1.5 alpha:

1. adds a latest (and current) version number display
2. removed plactivate.exe, product licensing will be built into exe
3. works on main icon
4. ON start menu description bug report - All seems ok, possible conflict with Process Lasso installer, legacy artifact, or localization issue, checking further...
5. ON multiple instances allowed bug report - haven't duplicated yet, COULD be older version installed with Lasso, or some timing issue.
6. Other work..

Next version will actually update itself, as opposed to only showing latest version number... The silent install (/S switch) of the ParkControl installer already works, which is what will be used, in contrast to Process Lasso, which uses an alternate method of automated update.

BenYeeHua

QuoteThanks for these observations. I'll make sure the start menu description is right, though what you may be seeing is a conflict with Process Lasso's installer.
Quote4. ON start menu description bug report - All seems ok, possible conflict with Process Lasso installer, legacy artifact, or localization issue, checking further...
I think you reading it wrong, I means the installer... :P

Sorry for not talking it with more detail too...
---
Another new error for installer, not sure why this is shown.
And also the title of the error window are showing as Process Lasso, even it is came from the Installer. ;D

Anyways, I guess there should be a options for "Not launching it at boot", in ParkControl or the Installer? :)

Quote5. ON multiple instances allowed bug report - haven't duplicated yet, COULD be older version installed with Lasso, or some timing issue.
Then I guess I am the lucky man. :D
It happen again.

The ways to reproduce are:
1.Run ParkControl, make sure it is showing on the Tray.
2.Double click on the Tray icon.

Jeremy Collake

Oh yes, I see, that is a localization error with the Lasso mention, I'll fix it.

The DLL error (and message box title) I've seen too and it's caused by the failure of ParkControl to terminate fast enough, so I'm aware of and working on that. Should be fixed up shortly!

Thanks

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 23, 2015, 05:37:39 AM
Oh yes, I see, that is a localization error with the Lasso mention, I'll fix it.

The DLL error (and message box title) I've seen too and it's caused by the failure of ParkControl to terminate fast enough, so I'm aware of and working on that. Should be fixed up shortly!

Thanks
Yup, and I just updated the post about the issues with 2 window, just getting distract with the WER which somehow don't generate and collect dumps in the "Security and Maintenance".  :)

PS:And yes, the hang logged on the "Security and Maintenance" are showing it is came from this installed version, not from the Process Lasso version.

Jeremy Collake

v0.0.1.6 makes some quick improvements.

1. Fixes the DLL error seen on certain installs
2. Removes the old description for the ParkControl launch installer section (empty for now)

I'll be continuing work, of course.

Jeremy Collake

v0.0.1.7:

1. Fix two lbutton up race condition that can cause two dialog instances

Let me know if you see this again.

Thanks

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 23, 2015, 06:18:20 AM
v0.0.1.6 makes some quick improvements.

1. Fixes the DLL error seen on certain installs
2. Removes the old description for the ParkControl launch installer section (empty for now)

I'll be continuing work, of course.
Confirm fixed.
Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 23, 2015, 06:28:21 AM
v0.0.1.7:

1. Fix two lbutton up race condition that can cause two dialog instances

Let me know if you see this again.

Thanks
Still happening by double clicking on the ParkControl tray icon.

Jeremy Collake

Understood. I've added a new synchronization object that *might* affect what you see. Otherwise, I must be on the wrong track and need to re-evaluate. Me and Ed still don't see it, so it's quite confusing. And your reproduction steps are really simple, hence me assuming it has to be a timing issue. Please try 0.0.1.8 when you get a chance.

v0.0.1.8:

1. added synchronization object for lbuttonup, potential fix for duplicate dialogs
2. bring existing window to foreground if the user tries to open an already open dialog

More work pending, but we'll be to a stable final in no time.

BenYeeHua

Confirm it is fixed, and found a new bug.

Step to reproduce:
1.Right click on the Tray Icon
2.Left click somewhere else

You should found that the context menu still showing, and right clicking on Tray Icon will stop working(not close the old context menu and open a new one), until you clicking on Open or Exit.
---
There is also a bug that I can't reproduce, which is the CPU usage(or the CPU usage refresh interval) just hang, and showing 100% every 5 seconds, then 0% CPU usage for 5 seconds.

edkiefer

Quote from: BenYeeHua on August 24, 2015, 12:44:15 PM
Confirm it is fixed, and found a new bug.

Step to reproduce:
1.Right click on the Tray Icon
2.Left click somewhere else

You should found that the context menu still showing, and right clicking on Tray Icon will stop working
(not close the old context menu and open a new one), until you clicking on Open or Exit.
---
There is also a bug that I can't reproduce, which is the CPU usage(or the CPU usage refresh interval) just hang, and showing 100% every 5 seconds, then 0% CPU usage for 5 seconds.
confirm, context menu stays up .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I will evaluate this most recent report shortly, but have an update in the meantime:

ParkControl v0.0.1.9

1. A few general code fixes
2. Add notification balloon when update available -- manual update still required, will add automated one-click update in a the coming day(s), or you can run installer with /S switch
3. Added version number to system tray tooltip
4. Added new secondary 64-bit system check to installer
4. Other general refinement