Automatic Update

Started by parkd1, August 20, 2015, 09:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkd1

Not sure if this a bug or something wrong with my computer. I get the this error when I do Automatic Update and let it update.

parkd1

When I got the error it told me to get the whole installer. When I went to get it I get this error.

Not Found

The requested URL /support/temp/20316_x64_8.7.0.1 beta.zip was not found on this server.

Thanks.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks park1d.

The auto-update error I *think* is most likely due to a broken download - though I'm checking to make sure it wasn't a broken package (uploads are verified).

The Support area missing beta download I'll also be fixing in minutes.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

parkd1

Jeremy Collake

Support area download fixed (usual naming issue we've seen before).

Automated update archives all look like they were transferred correctly to the server, so I'm still inclined to think it was a broken download, *but* I am going to publish v8.7.0.3 beta, which will replace them.

parkd1

BenYeeHua

So, maybe adding some SHA1 checking for update? :)
Then when it is broken because of a broken internet, it will ask the user, or retry itself a few times. :D

Of cause it may do nothing, as it is already reported by WinRAR, so it should be better to focus on other feature. :)
---
And yup, it is the end of the archive is broken, so it can be some unexpected disconnection, while it think the file are downloaded completely?

---Off-Topic
And ya, I always having some broken download(loaded the emotion for the background image for the page etc), when I open a lot of pages.
But I guess it is just a browser issues, or a server config issues that can't handle too many connections. :P

Jeremy Collake

I could do some sort of post-download verification, that's not a bad idea at all. It adds a little complexity, but not much. I'd just need to find the time to implement it. Good idea BenYeeHua!

parkd1

I second that. Good idea.

Jeremy Collake

It'll be a bit before I get it in, but I'll work on it as part of the new shared (multi-app) code base I'm building. It's really not that hard, I'll just download a list of file hashes first, then check the file against that list.

BenYeeHua

So I guess all update connection already running on HTTPS? ;)

Hotrod

I'm running 8.9.8.44 and my updater is refusing to get the new 8.9.8.48 on 3 W10 machines and 2 XP machines.

edkiefer

8.9.8.48 was just released min ago, give it some time.
I am on .47 and not seeing as of this min.

Edit: Try now should work.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Sorry, the build took a while, sometimes network congestion causes digital signing time-stamping problems. It's finally out now, new final version.

Hotrod

I had to run some errands, got it around 5pm. It's all good. :) I just wanted JC to know as early as possible if there really was an issue.

BenYeeHua

Ya, it is good thing, thank for doing that. ;)

Jeremy Collake

FWIW, the temporarily seen (for a couple minutes) 'old version' update anomalies are a side-effect of CloudFlare's caching, I have to selectively or wholly clear the cache after every update, and the timing has to be just right, etc... CloudFlare edge nodes serve 75% of our bandwidth throughout the world, so the service itself has been very beneficial, if also adding a bit more complexity to the site ecosystem.