PL update notification in Windows 10

Started by BenYeeHua, August 15, 2015, 09:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

It look like with windows 10, I somehow can trigger the "jump to change log's page" by clicking on the Process Lasso tray icon...

Not sure about this, but I did checked that, before this happen, the "PL updated" notification has gone from the Action Center, because of timeout or some other thing.
So I has no idea why this will happen...

Jeremy Collake

I increase the time-out value by user request, and since Windows 10's notification area changed, I believe what you're seeing is the notification go away, but you click the system tray icon within the allotted window. I may adjust this behavior. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Yup, so far I can see the notification in the Action Center for 10-20 mins before it is gone, so this time-out may helps if the user are busy within 30 mins. ;)

PS: And most people are ignoring the Action Center, as they don't understand about the status of Action Center icon.(like having notification or not) :P

Jeremy Collake

Yes, the action center has had a curious effect. It's both immensely helpful, and immensely ignored, lol.

BenYeeHua

Yup, just like the old Action center, always ignored by users. ;D

BenYeeHua

I am not sure what are you talking about, but I am talking about this one. ;)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2487719,00.asp

Jeremy Collake

Yea, that's the one I'm talking about. I should have clarified that it's so far largely ignored on the PC. For mobile devices running Windows 10, it's much harder to ignore.

BenYeeHua

lol, why delete the post and making me look like I am talking with Jeremy. ;D
I should just quote every post that I am replying, even it is the last post of the topic, so this will not happen anymore. ;)
---
And yup, it is gone from the Action Center now(even when it is currently showing out), it is also the same for other apps that showing notification, I guess maybe they tweaked a bit for Desktop app. :P

Hotrod

I have been encountering a few minor registry entries in Windows 10 that impede desktop operations. I have found by searching that many users are having the same issues depending on the precise device they upgraded. I have found some legitimate fixes which involve someone else's batch file to edit the registry(since most users don't have good registry editing skills). I do not want to post these here without Jeremy looking them over and possibly releasing something he knows to be safe. These have been tried on 2 of my existing systems and they appear to work well. The first is the loss of the windows defender notification icon in the systray. I have 2 files which will enable or disable this respectively. Only a few systems are experiencing this one. The second is the loss of all systray icon tooltip balloons(even PL). I have a file that resets the notification icon cache which causes it to be recreated anew. This fixed all tooltips for me. Please contact and advise me if you want to view these and possibly create a forum thread documenting registry issues as they will probably keep popping up(pun intended).  ;D

BenYeeHua

Well, as you has told which function it is trying to fix, then I know how to find it.(at least for me) ;)
And of cause it is better that just PM Hotrod and ask for it, unless you know how to read the batch, and make sure it is not doing something evil. :P

And ya, did you facing lag with Windows Defender? :)

As I know, many user still facing the old issues, which will hang for 5 mins when opening a folder with a lot of exe.
And also new issues, which somehow lagging the computer by keep scanning on the background, and causing stutter when loading files/software.

Jeremy Collake

@hotrod: I would be very curious to hear about these. You can post them freely here, or email me at jeremy@bitsum.com and I'll review them with you, and maybe make a proper 'publication' of them.

Thanks!

chris635

Quote from: Hotrod on August 24, 2015, 02:12:35 PM
I have been encountering a few minor registry entries in Windows 10 that impede desktop operations. I have found by searching that many users are having the same issues depending on the precise device they upgraded. I have found some legitimate fixes which involve someone else's batch file to edit the registry(since most users don't have good registry editing skills). I do not want to post these here without Jeremy looking them over and possibly releasing something he knows to be safe. These have been tried on 2 of my existing systems and they appear to work well. The first is the loss of the windows defender notification icon in the systray. I have 2 files which will enable or disable this respectively. Only a few systems are experiencing this one. The second is the loss of all systray icon tooltip balloons(even PL). I have a file that resets the notification icon cache which causes it to be recreated anew. This fixed all tooltips for me. Please contact and advise me if you want to view these and possibly create a forum thread documenting registry issues as they will probably keep popping up(pun intended).  ;D

Hi Hotrod,

Windows defender icon doesn't show for me until I manually open it for a scan. It will remain in the system tray until a reboot. I have three machines in windows 10, and all three do the same thing. I am interested in the reg values as well. Don't worry. I can handle the registry, and I always make back ups before changing a reg setting.

Chris
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Windows Defender is designed that way - to not show unless it's in use, by detecting something or a user's manual scan.

There are lots of Windows 10 registry tweaks coming down the pipeline from all sorts of sources. Some of them will be good, some bad. You need to evaluate each one carefully. That's why Hotrod was asking for review of them prior to throwing them out there. He knows that people applying tweak just for the sake of tweaking is not a good situation!

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 24, 2015, 07:32:54 PM
Windows Defender is designed that way - to not show unless it's in use, by detecting something or a user's manual scan.

There are lots of Windows 10 registry tweaks coming down the pipeline from all sorts of sources. Some of them will be good, some bad. You need to evaluate each one carefully. That's why Hotrod was asking for review of them prior to throwing them out there. He knows that people applying tweak just for the sake of tweaking is not a good situation!

Ohh I agree! I have a test laptop for such things.
Chris

Hotrod

Actually I found that Windows Defender was enabled to show in the systray on some systems and not others. I think there was some confusion as to whether certain devices would be used as tablets or not.

BenYeeHua

Not sure, but since Windows 8, it is hidden as it is design to be quiet in the background. ;)

Hotrod

Just so you know, both fixes were advocated by a Certified Microsoft Support person on a Microsoft Support forum. :)