Process Lasso for Audiophiles - New Guide being drafted

Started by Jeremy Collake, June 13, 2015, 06:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

We've been drafting a new guide for use of Process Lasso by Audiophiles, many of which are running highly tuned and stripped down Windows Server setups with Windows workstations (or servers) as control stations.

The guide is currently shared at Google Docs while we continue editing:

Process Lasso for Audiophiles Guide DRAFT

This thread is to get any additional feedback from the Audiophile community, so that we can best serve it.

Thank you!
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

dtb300

Since some audiophile love to tinker with their setups trying to get that last smidge of sound quality, I saw a post here on the site and thought it would be worth including the information discussed in this thread. 

Questions from the Thead:

(1)  How would I disabled all auto-tuning and simply assign all process affinities and priorities manually?

(2)  How would I have the software function in a "learn mode"?  Mean advise me of any new processes that launch for which I haven't created a profile?

(3)  Processor Lasso obviously sees my 6 cores.  How might I tell it that it is free to use cores: 0, 1, 2, 3; and not to touch 4 and 5?  Is there a configuration option for this?  Then, I would allow it to run say Pro-Balance just for the first 4 cores.  I want to reserve the last two to be used for hand assigned strategy games.

Answers:

1) First thing I would do it just run PL with default setting , it will only restraint processes set to normal and you can set it to not affect services if you want .

2) now to your question, "if" you really find need to micro manage (which you really shouldn't, even with what you posted ) .

If you right click on a process you can alter its priority or affinity by choosing/setting always section . If you change current section, on next reboot it will go back to stock, so use current for testing and always for permanent setting .

Just look under Probalance setting >advanced here you can alter what I posted above and many other changes ,like you could have affinity lowered by one CPU core when  restraint or random core choice .  You can exclude processes there to that you don't want Probalance to act on and of course you could disable Probalance totally, but I don't see need for that even with micro managing .

Jeremy Collake

Excellent additions, and thanks for bringing me up to speed on what questions I missed in the thread!

Jeremy Collake

@dtb300: I'm adding you as an editor to the document. No expectations, just giving you the capacity, should you choose to exercise it. Thanks!

dtb300

Just read through the guide again and it looks good.

Of course you are going to have the user who "specifically" wants YOU to tell them what settings they need for THEIR setup. 

Your statement in the document about not tweaking all the settings, and let PL do the job for you is spot on.

Not sure if it is really noted enough :) - if people want to play, choose CURRENT.  Then if all is well, set in ALWAYS.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks, yea the guide is getting there. It's hard to anticipate what questions users may have in some cases, or even mistakes they may make.

I agree that not going over-board with custom tweaking needs to be emphasized more, and like the way you phrased 'if you want to play, choose current', etc.. So will add some similar wording to the guide!