how to disable core parking

Started by CH911, May 23, 2015, 09:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CH911

I want to disable core parking but it says
"ERROR chaning Power Profile parameters. You may have insufficent rights! Are you running as Limited User?"

Im running Windows as Administrator and also starting Process Lasso as administrator
so how do I go about from here?

BenYeeHua

You may check your registry first?
The registry is at
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583]
If any registry value are missing for this registry folder, it will just stop working, including Core-Parking.....

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

CH911

there are 3 more subfolders in the directory [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583]

381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e
8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

each have 3 keys in them

Jeremy Collake

The 3 copies of the UUID mean you have 3 different power plans. Each power plan has a setting for that UUID (core parking).

I am not sure why ParkControl is giving you issues, but if you had done prior registry customization manually, it could get confused. That is my current premise.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

CH911

I have no sceurity software running besides Windows Defender + Firewall.

I made prior changes to the CPU parking I used the "Disbale CPU Core Parking Utility" by CoderBag which chnages th values in the registry so I guess this is getting PcoressLasso confused?

Jeremy Collake

Thanks!

My response was summarized and edited.

Many apologies, but we have no solution to this rare, but benign, error some users see from ParkControl. You are the 3rd person to report it, but we've yet to replicate it in our labs. All we know for certain is that only a small minority of users are affected.

It would appear that the cause is prior registry edits are causing confusing to ParkControl, because those registry edits are not the correct way to change this behavior. I'll see what I can do.

BenYeeHua

QuoteI made prior changes to the CPU parking I used the "Disbale CPU Core Parking Utility" by CoderBag which chnages th values in the registry so I guess this is getting PcoressLasso confused?
I think not just Process Lasso, the Windows itself is also confused, but lucky it will just disable core-parking, but some people reporting CPU stability issues if they disable core-parking by breaking the registry... :)

gamesturbator

Hey, I know this is late, but if you have manually changed the 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 key (there might be several of them) maxvalue from 64 to 0,  Process Lasso cannot alter the core parking settings as that setting completely disables core parking. So under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree drill down to the PowerSettings key and search for 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 and if you find that the max value is something other than 64 then change it back to 64. Just close regedit, no need to reboot. You will be able to use Process Lasso to control the cores again. I still use core parking in power saving mode, but for high performance mode I always set it for disabled. Hope this solves the issue for you.

BenYeeHua

Thank for the picture for explain in a much better way. ;)

And yup, normally I just disable for AC and also balance/high performance power plans, unless you are still using Windows 7, which is useless for powersave. :)

Jeremy Collake

Thanks gamesturbator!

You've articulated the problem (how people's ill-advised manual registry edits cause the proper APIs to fail), and solution, so I'l try add some code to handle this ASAP, it's a good time now that ParkControl Pro is seeing rapid development. I also appreciate you reminding me of this at this opportune time!

Jeremy Collake

I've got an auto-correct mechanism planned to handle this, but since ParkControl is going to v1.0 today, don't want to risk it just yet.

Thus, I'll add it to the new beta branch, let us test it on affected systems, then issue a new final update to ParkControl.