Loss of system tray icon in XP with BitDefender

Started by Jeremy Collake, March 11, 2015, 06:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I have several XP test beds and managed to reproduce a scenario where Lasso's system tray icon is 'lost' and can't be recovered except by manually terminating ProcessLasso.exe.

So far, in all those test beds, it's only been seen in the ONE that has BitDefender installed.

This thread is for that discussion. I'll make sure it's finally resolved. It was reported a while back. I just hate it when third-party security software digs into my stuff and I'm left cleaning up the mess, lol ;)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

So I guess you must also hate people coming into your house and just make it dirty? ::)
---
Anyways, back to topic, so it's only happening with Windows XP?
Because as I know, Windows XP is having too much bug for security software, and they just give up to fixing them. :)

Jeremy Collake

jclaukemper

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 11, 2015, 06:26:51 PM
I have several XP test beds and managed to reproduce a scenario where Lasso's system tray icon is 'lost' and can't be recovered except by manually terminating ProcessLasso.exe.

So far, in all those test beds, it's only been seen in the ONE that has BitDefender installed.

I run two systems with Win7 64bit. On both I had the issue of a lost tray icon and of a crashing or resetting of process lasso's main UI window every other time I clicked on the tray icon. The lost tray icon would not happen as often as the UI window crash.

Some weeks ago I had to uninstall bitdefender from both systems. It interfered drastically with my local area network speed to an unberarable extent. Only after removing it I also noticed that it had been interfering with the Steam in-game community overlay. The overlay wouldn't work in some games. Not all but in some.

After the uninstall the issue stopped and I could click the tray icon again without having to fear that the last recorded stats would be lost.

Bitdefender might be the best AV solution on the market. I wonder, however, whether it uses too aggressiv methods to achieve that goal.  ???

Jeremy Collake

Ah, so it would appear to impact all Windows OSes (most likely).

And since BitDefender also causes problems with other software or network performance - I am curious what it is doing. It may simply have a buggy module. It's been a tough one for me to diagnose.

BitDefender is pretty popular, so I'll have to do something here - and the excuse 'it's their fault' won't fly for most users.

BenYeeHua

Hey, you should try Kaspersky, it is much worse in Windows 8+, it will BSoD your system when you just exit your AV, and also using the fake shutdown function to speed up your boot. ;)

And ya, BitDefender is just popular with it's OEM engine, in China. ;D

DeadHead

I can't even begin to understand the frustration this is causing you, as a genuine developer.

AV programs have gone from something you really would want to have installed, to something you fear might mess up your entire system, considering how deep they seem to go, and go deep for no apparent beneficial effect whatsoever.

This is like the IT side twist of things, much like the things works these days scaring the (american) people of terrorists. Everyone's so scared of everything they'll soon be paralyzed, and won't be able to think of their own.

Sorry for the rant, but this is where things are going.
Windows 10 Pro 64 (swedish) || Xeon 5650 @ +4 GHz || 24 gig ram || R9280 Toxic

BenYeeHua

I saw you are using MSE, want to combine it with EMET?
Just kidding, EMET will causing many issues, as many software are not design to run with it, except IE(or any other Microsoft's software)! ;D
---
Ya, and Anti-virus is just a tool to alert us that this software might be a virus, the decision is depend on us.
If the AV is crashing our system, did it has some difference with Virus? ???

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on March 13, 2015, 07:10:37 PM
If the AV is crashing our system, did it has some difference with Virus? ???

Yes, the virus may or may not be asking for money. Third-party security software always is, in one form or another.

BenYeeHua

And it will not being killed by other Anti-virus, but at least you can't install it because of compatibility, except you choose to install it. ::)

Anyways, if you know Baidu China, they did reinstall AV after you uninstall it, and also if you are using other Baidu's product like Baidu IME, you will get Baidu AV installed silently, on background.
They were earning the promotion money from Baidu, by destroying the name of Baidu, and Baidu do nothing on it.
Baidu itself also bundle AV into Java Online Installer, and also other software that you can search the installer on Baidu search.

I really don't know what should I said about Baidu..
Wait, I already said about that. ;D
---
Anyways, time to stop here, it is just the decision and also knowledge to choose which one you trust, and also will not broke your computer.
Even if I know many thing about software(not much about coding. ;)), we still need a anti-virus, right?

It is not like we can just reverse engineering every programs we want to use and waste a lot of time trying to find out each action that programs will do, this is the jobs for Anti-virus. ;)