Core Parking in Windows 10/TP, Broken.

Started by Napsterbater, December 09, 2014, 02:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napsterbater

I know Windows 10 is a beta and I don't know if the problem is Process Lasso or Windows but ill explain what i'm seeing.

Using a default Balanced power profile, core parking and CPU Freq scaling is on and set to 5%.

This works fine, All cores un-park and CPU Freq goes to max when needed, and drop back to 2 (of 8) cores and min freq when idle and varies in between depending on load.

Now I have processes (Games) set to use the High Performance Profile. This has Core parking and Freq. Scaling disabled.

The problem is whenever the High Performance Profile is active it, what ever cores are un-parked at that very split second stay un-parked and the rest stay parked no matter the load. only way to get everything un-parked is to switch back to Balanced and put a load that will un-park them all then switch to high Performance .

BTW this is with a AMD 9590 CPU, 8 Cores split into 4 groups/modules, Min of 2 un-parked and each pair park/un-park together.

BenYeeHua

Thank for the info, I hope it is just a bug that will be fixed in released version. :)

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, I will investigate and it will work correctly prior to W10 RTM. Thanks for the report. As I have info, I'll post here.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

I use the amd 8350 overclocked to 4.9 ghz (essentially the same chip as yours). When I was using the core parking  and un-parking feature I never ran into that problem on windows 7. I did have problems with core parking with c6 state in the bios enabled. You might want to check and see if that is not the possible cause.
Chris