ProBalance Insights

Started by Jeremy Collake, August 28, 2014, 03:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I'm releasing the first early version of this tonight - I hope. It's almost there. I'll post here again when I've uploaded, and include a screenshot. It'll be several more hours at earliest.

I consider this to be a major step forward because users (and, later, maybe Bitsum!) will be able to more effectively see what is acted on. The end goal of aggregation of statistics should will enable algorithm tuning and other cool things.

The larger goal for Bitsum during the last half of 2014 is 'make it or break it'. I don't believe in the idea that the PC is dead. And I think users are sick of 'free' software with a bunch of crap bundled in. It's time to grow. Time to get enough capital to hire.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

If I am reading this right, you want to get stats on what processes (user uploads stats ) get restraint the most and somehow tweak settings ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Some day. With user permission, of course. Crowd-sourcing of data is something I've had on my radar for a while. The only barrier is the amount of work required.

edkiefer

The other issue is how user uses his system, some may have higher restraints depending on there use more than system type .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

That's exactly right. User behavior will make a big difference.

While there will be consistency and reliability issues of the aggregated stats, it will still give an important and revealing snapshot about what ProBalance is acting on in the real-world.

It's very exciting to me, and perhaps that excitement will cause me to get this on done. I guess I can work out the collection mechanism first, then start figuring out ways to use that data.

edkiefer

yeh, take baby steps if possible that way not rushing all features at once .
Which may have to be altered after you get it running anyway .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Based on the count, you will found that, Chrome is the highest one. ::)
Just kidding. ;D
---
QuoteThe larger goal for Bitsum during the last half of 2014 is 'make it or break it'. I don't believe in the idea that the PC is dead. And I think users are sick of 'free' software with a bunch of crap bundled in. It's time to grow. Time to get enough capital to hire.
Did you are talking about Windows? ::)

But ya, I found that, Baidu Anti-virus is a interesting thing, the software is clean without silent install other software, but many other software always bundle this AV with them, and you know who did it(marketing). ;D
----
Anyways, collecting the data will be interesting, if the user allow it, and letting the other user know which software they should looking at, as a reference, not like THIS software is bad!!! ::)
So by looking on the statistics of which software get restraint most, you will know it is the software that like to bite you in the "back"....ground. ;)

Jeremy Collake

A bit behind, and I feel bad having to leave my wife alone on a sunny day... but working on getting this out. It really does look nice, my UIs are looking much better than they used to.

BenYeeHua

That is normal, you need to sacrifice the time and some other thing to get something that you want, and it will worth it as you will learn something more.
Just always remember, don't sacrifice too much that you own. :)

Jeremy Collake

I'm about to release a beta:

In other news, while I was fiddling with listviews, I finally made the Log Viewer's columns sortable (laziness before).

Once I get this in a done enough state, I can immediately move to release since it's just a UI.

edkiefer

Cool , I see you run system files getting restraint . :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I'll be fixing that bottom slider (removing it) and adding a bunch more data in short order.. and finish general polishing.

Also, in the final rendition, users will be able to exclude processes from within the Insights app.

edkiefer

how a bout few options linking the process , like search Google for xx process or locate on HD .

Might be handy

Of course we can do it from PL GUI but the process might not be running at the time looking at list .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Sure, I'll toss those in when I get the context menu implemented.

BenYeeHua

I vote for the locate on HD(D), as it is many programs named as setup.exe, how do you know which one it is.
Just kidding, as normally it is deleted and it is located on TEMP folder, but it is still useful if there are some virus trying to showing itself as system process. ;)

Jeremy Collake

I will probably just offer web search for the first version, for the reason BenYeeHua mentions, and also my stats collection doesn't keep track of filenames at present.

We're getting there. I'm tempted to make the next final v7.0, but I had previously told people 3 more weeks until v7...

BenYeeHua

Hmm, I think maybe allow to showing only Today restraint, if it is not too hard?
And ya, you may provide access to this tool by double click on the graph, as it is showing the amount of restraints.
Or just another button nearby the "View Log". :)

edkiefer

I forgot to mention, adding a probalance insight button , next to logview would be good , above the log window .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, I am working on that.

Probably for the next final version it'll ship without an easy access button. Then I'll add such in v7.0, which will release on the 21st.

BenYeeHua

Yup, that is not bad, as this is not done yet, so you may wanna to hide it for most user (except people that browsing forum and reading the changelog) until you think it is version 1.0. ;)
So they don't get a first impression that it is not good enough, you may wanna add a beta word, like "ProBalance Insights Beta" until you think it is good enough.

Jeremy Collake

Exactly my thinking. I dunno if I'll add a 'beta' word or not.

I have a bad habit of releasing too early in my excitement, but - then again - it's hard to wait for 'perfection'.

By version 7.0 it will definitely be ready to show off to the world.

BenYeeHua

Yup, and the beta is just for the jokes, because there are still many software that are stable release will always having stability bug like beta, and also alpha/beta that you can buy too.(games) ;)
Anyways, as long as the main core feature(which is showing the list of the restraint process) is working as it should be, it should be enough for stable release. :)