enabling core parking

Started by indrajit, August 26, 2014, 06:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indrajit

hello all

I think core parking is not functioning properly in my laptop. All cores  are active even in power saver profile (process lasso should show greyed color or disabled core instead of active core am i right?) .
i also observed 10-15 mins less battery backup.How to re-enable core parking(if i am right)or please guide me if i am wrong.

BenYeeHua

Use ThrottleStop to check the c-state that is enabled/used for CPU, it should show something about core parking.

Jeremy Collake

It is OK to link to ThrottleStop, so I've edited your post.

BenYeeHua is basically telling you to see if your CPU supports parking, and it's enabled by the BIOS/UEFI.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Yes, that is right. It shows gray if they are parked.

Assuming your CPU does support core parking ....

You can use ParkControl to easily see if core parking is enabled for your power plan. In Lasso, select 'Options / Configure CPU Core Parking'.

indrajit

My processor is i5 3230m and supports core parking. i saw a setting "CPU power saving  feature" in bios i enabled it still no luck.
Actually i am facing this issue after installing and using some system utilities or cleaners who claims to speed up yr PC. may be i need to reinstall windows.

Jeremy Collake

Check to see, and be aware, of which power profile is active. You can reset any power profile to it's default state in the Windows Power Options.

Do you recall ever seeing cores parked on your PC?

indrajit

Yes i remember when i newly installed windows process lasso was showing parked core but not now.I tried every thing from resetting power profiles to using third party software.I think all the things r done by crappy system utilities and registry cleaners.

BenYeeHua

Ya, most of the time optimize software break your system, not optimize your system.
Reinstall system is always a better way to solve the problems, as you need more time to find out why it is happening. :)

indrajit

Got the problem it seems process lasso doesn't show parked core in windows 8.1pro . after reinstalling both windows 7 & 8.1pro, 1 after another  I observed  7 is showing parked core in process lasso but 8.1pro doesn't.What does it means? do 8.1pro support core parking or not? any ideas ?

Jeremy Collake

Win 8.1 supports core parking. There are a number of possibilities. We'd have to investigate. There could be driver differences, software interoperability issues, power profile configuration differences, etc...