Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Other Product Releases / Re: μProBalance Development Alpha Stage Releases
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on August 09, 2016, 11:49:49 PM »
0.0.1.9:
+ Latest app icons from Ed Kiefer
+ 64-bit installs that had previously been down-graded to 32-bit should self-repair, but if not - it's an alpha, so reinstall (over-top)
+ Fix accidental typo on page where I listed 0.0.1.9
+ Other mods
General / Re: Multi-OS boot manager
« Last post by edkiefer on August 09, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
I don't use Edge at all, for maybe last ditch backup (use IE11 more), I have not noticed any timer requests.
I am on 1607 with latest updates.

As far as gems goes on my end I have not noticed any changes going back to win7, Overall I have had good luck with gaming, smooth play for most part.
I never run max settings, I find in many games ultra doesn't give any HQ that I would notice while I am moving around, so I don't set things up for best quality more usable quality, at least what a 970 can handle at 1600x1200.

Win10 so far to me feels beta, but no show stoppers, thats best i can describe it.

As for dual boot, I do it old school through bios if i need to run other OS.
« Last post by BenYeeHua on August 09, 2016, 01:21:23 PM »
This ransomware stuff is just another form of malware, so the same practices apply - Don't download/run things unless you are *certain* you trust the source.
Yes, even worst, because any files that you download or saved on your own folders will not be protected by NTFS security, it means it can just encrypts your files silently without the admin right... :P

Thanks for the replies JC.
I have yet to be convinced on W10.  Some things seem OK but
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-watch-out-for-these-nasty-surprises/?ftag=TRE684d531&bhid=19840393881837288397181766470674
--theres still aggravation to be had!  :P
I esp don't like the way things like run & the old control panel & MMC commands seem to have been sidetracked.  OK not everyone looks at that stuff often but if you want to tweak something & you are used to typing xxxx.msc in the run box - it now often just slaps me in the face :(

They really want the data mining to be front & centre.
Really don't like the new double qty of ads thing either.  Aren't we bombarded enough?
I notice that you cannot fully disable the apps side either as it will kill the start button. 

I have installed 1 game on w10 so far & it runs fine, beyond that I'm digging around & trying to break stuff.  ;D  I am not surrendering my w7 yet tho!
At least they start allow the Edge/IE Flash Player to asking the Multimedia Scheduler driver to change the Timer Resolution to 0.5ms, which disabled the C-states of the whole CPU package...(as there is no time for the CPU to rest...)
And I wonder why they changed this, it is working very well for 60FPS playback without Frame drop in 1511, before doing this...

For gaming, because they move over to WDDM 2.1, a little bit game like CS:GO is having low FPS in exclusive full screen, but working fine in Windowed mode.

And most important, you can login your Microsoft Account to link the free Windows 10 Digital license activation with it. ;)
----
I forgot!
The Sticky Note UWP is a mess, the default size and font size has been changed, and it is very bad for people that having a lot of sticky note before....
If you enable the insights which link the Cortana together, the stick note will freeze each time you start it with a lot of note.
And it never running with Windows Startup anymore, also the hidden feature like changing the font size is executing very badly. :P
« Last post by bertie97 on August 09, 2016, 10:25:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies JC.
I have yet to be convinced on W10.  Some things seem OK but
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-watch-out-for-these-nasty-surprises/?ftag=TRE684d531&bhid=19840393881837288397181766470674
--theres still aggravation to be had!  :P
I esp don't like the way things like run & the old control panel & MMC commands seem to have been sidetracked.  OK not everyone looks at that stuff often but if you want to tweak something & you are used to typing xxxx.msc in the run box - it now often just slaps me in the face :(

They really want the data mining to be front & centre.
Really don't like the new double qty of ads thing either.  Aren't we bombarded enough?
I notice that you cannot fully disable the apps side either as it will kill the start button. 

I have installed 1 game on w10 so far & it runs fine, beyond that I'm digging around & trying to break stuff.  ;D  I am not surrendering my w7 yet tho!
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on August 08, 2016, 08:10:25 PM »
0.0.1.5:
+ Fix issue where 64-bit installs were auto-updating to 32-bit installs (but still seeming to work fine)
+ Stage code in 32-bit edition to auto-fix any 64-bit installs in next update
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on August 08, 2016, 06:24:49 PM »
I just mean to say - Give Windows 10 a chance, it really is great :).

Change takes time to get used to, but then you are glad you made the change (well, sometimes).

For Gaming, definitely you will never get optimal FPS in a VM.
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on August 08, 2016, 06:20:57 PM »
So far I don't like the win10 network & app function embedding esp with the new batch of ransomware doing the rounds. 
I've seen 2 systems completely screwed & no way to recover without paying up or wiping.  Clearly there are still a lot of backdoors & workarounds that just aren't being covered. 
CryptoDrop  sounds like it might help...
Virtualization seems like a better solution with a VM just for the internet etc.  But W10 doesn't like stuff like a virtual desktop apparently :(

In fairness, Ransomware has nothing to do with Win10, and any unpatched exploit is sure to most likely to exist in prior editions too. In fact, you are safer with Win10. Sure, recently affected users may of been running Win10, because so many people have migrated to Win10 by now. You are much more vulnerable on XP or Vista, and about equally vulnerable on 7.

This ransomware stuff is just another form of malware, so the same practices apply - Don't download/run things unless you are *certain* you trust the source.

For example, in our case, you know our files come from bitsum.com *and* they are digitally signed. And we know Bitsum has never 'done wrong', so you can trust us. Blindly downloading trial software, especially with all these nasty and tricky installer bundles (which, again, bitsum.com *never* uses), is a recipe for disaster.

The only new twist is now they came up with a way to force infected people to pay money, and it's worked well for them.

There is no product that is going to 100% protect you against this threat because, like malware, the authors will adapt. You must be judicious, cautious, secure, and keep excellent backups.
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on August 08, 2016, 06:16:37 PM »
0.0.1.13:
+ Switched to static app icon instead of 'Green circle' place-holder in system tray
+ Several undocumented changes (too early to track every change closely)
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on August 07, 2016, 08:13:03 PM »
v0.0.1.7:
+ Left-click opens Insights dialog
+ Fix bitmap on Insights dialog
+ Other changes
Process Lasso Releases / Process Lasso v8.9.8.38 Released
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on August 04, 2016, 08:51:17 PM »

Process Lasso v8.9.8.38

Changes:

8.9.8.38ChangeUpdaterAdded command line shortcut for Process Lasso 'pl.cmd' (pl) to auto-updater, as it did have a small update a while back, and it's tiny anyway.
8.9.8.38FixUpdaterFix for any Server Edition installs that inadvertently got switched to Workstation during previous beta updates (only affected BETA channel!), but won't take effect until the *next* update.
8.9.8.38FixUpdaterFix for rare scenario where user installs then changes date backwards (e.g. time zone change).
8.9.8.38ChangeLocalizationUpdated languages from latest v9 alpha branch snapshots.

Full revision history

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10