Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Process Lasso / Re: Brand new user - Handbrake question
« Last post by bertie97 on March 01, 2014, 07:47:59 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.
I will have to study the site some more.  Making sure of space is always an issue with these huge fin arrays, not to mention the weight of them!  :o

Just to be clear, I have to point out that it is only Handbrake that flogs the stock HSF (other than something like Prime95). If I encode with xvid I get a full 20C drop in core temps.   
It's quite happy multi-tasking whilst the encode is running & I have yet to find a game that heats the system up so much.
Don't want to put people off the CPU as it runs well / cool with the stock HSF.  Except with handbrake... ::) 
« Last post by edkiefer on February 26, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »
Ok, thats a 125w TDP and yes, I would get something better than evo in that case , especially if doing a lot intense workload .

From same site you can see how coolers stack up , for AMD 125W TDP

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2764&page=4

One note on there results , I don't think they represent real world numbers , as they are using  synthetic thermal testing to produce heat and dies size(not just the IHS size)  has big factor on HS performance too but it should be close .

http://www.frostytech.com/testmethod_mk2.cfm

While many of Dual tower coolers are very good (NH-D14 , Phanteks PH-TC14PE, etc     ) I like the Noctua    NH-U14S as its single tower and good performer , only issue its 140mm wide so you need room till first slot where vid is in .
On Intel side many MB the PCI-E vid slot is second down so this is not issue and this cooler has good memory clearance unlike most all dual towers .
you need standard height ram, not extended HS on them or it tends to maybe hit the front fan .
« Last post by BenYeeHua on February 26, 2014, 05:47:21 PM »
What system specs are you running ,if its a Intel i5/i7 quad core something like CM 212evo is more than enough and will not break the bank .

If your running E series 6 core or AMD 6/8 core you might need more but even here if not OC it should be fine and way better than retail HS (at least on Intel side) .

lol, you must be the Men in Black. 8)
This looks like an old but relevant thread...

Just upgraded the rig with an AMD FX-8350 & decided to see what it was like with Handbrake.
As I have a stock HSF I was interested to see all 8 cores hammered at 99.x % for the duration of the encode.
This took the CPU within a few degrees of it's top limit temp.  This is OK right now with low ambient temps, but could really be an issue when summer gets here.
Started thinking about 'Hard-Throttle', but the docs don't tell me much about what it is doing & it is flagged with warnings.
Currently I opted for limiting the available cores via PL - not so great for speed of encode, but better than a cooked CPU.
This instantly takes 10C off the CPU temp, so yaaay for PL (again).

I would like to know something about 'Hard-Throttle' if anyones willing.  My aim is not system responsiveness but temp control untill I get a hi-grade HSF...

AMD FX-8350, can reach 160-200 watt if using AVX/FMA3...
Anyways, for cooler, I am not a expert in this area, so better handle this to your guys.  ;)
« Last post by edkiefer on February 26, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »
What system specs are you running ,if its a Intel i5/i7 quad core something like CM 212evo is more than enough and will not break the bank .

If your running E series 6 core or AMD 6/8 core you might need more but even here if not OC it should be fine and way better than retail HS (at least on Intel side) .
« Last post by bertie97 on February 26, 2014, 08:58:10 AM »
Thanks BYH & Happy Horse Year to you ;)

@DeadHead - I am looking at cooling, would quite like liquid cooling, but even now people manage to kill their PCs with leaks on supposedly factory checked/sealed units.  There are some good air solutions at http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm & they aren't too expensive.
BugTrack / Re: Zombile process created if program crash in Win81
« Last post by BenYeeHua on February 25, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »
I have seen this issue myself. I'll be fixing it soon!
Good to hear about that.  :)

I check my system, it already have KB2903939, but still have problem.
Ok, I still curious why they add this "feature" in Windows 8.1...
Stability?
General / Re: Windows 8.1 Update 1
« Last post by BenYeeHua on February 25, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »
Nah, as I know, Windows 8.1 still having many issues(specifically Graphic driver), so far I don't update to Windows 8.1 yet, even the Windows 8.1 Update 1 also don't has the chance to install it. ;D
General / Re: Windows RT, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012 monthly update
« Last post by BenYeeHua on February 25, 2014, 06:55:42 AM »
Ya, better let the other user becoming a tester first. ;D
BugTrack / Re: Zombile process created if program crash in Win81
« Last post by twu2 on February 25, 2014, 04:10:30 AM »
So I has saw this update, did you get this issues fixed after this update is installed? :)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2905627

I check my system, it already have KB2903939, but still have problem.
General / Windows 8.1 Update 1
« Last post by parkd1 on February 24, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
Have you been able to use Wimdows 8.1 Update 1?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]